What is the Work Done by an Ideal Gas Expanding at Constant Temperature?

In summary, the work done by two moles of an ideal gas expanding to double its initial volume at a constant temperature of 400 K is 4613.959 J according to the formula W=2.303nRTlog(v2/v1) where n=2, v2=2*v1, T=400 K, and R=8.32. The use of logarithms is common in these types of calculations and ln refers to the natural logarithm.
vijiraghs

Homework Statement

Two moles of an ideal gas expand to double the initial volume at a constant temperature of 400 K. Calculate the work done by the process.

Homework Equations

W=2.303nRTlog(v2/v1)

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried the formula and got 4613.959 J but the answer is 554.6 J

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it isn't log(V2/V1)? I'm used to the form W=nRTln(V2/V1). I can't get either of those answers. Can you show how you got that?

hage567 said:
Are you sure it isn't log(V2/V1)? I'm used to the form W=nRTln(V2/V1). I can't get either of those answers. Can you show how you got that?

n=2; v2=2*v1;T=400 K; R=8.32

W=2.303nRTlog(v2/v1)
= 2.303*2*8.32*400*log(2v1/v1)
= 2.303*2*8.32*400*log(2)
= 2.303*2*8.32*400*0.3010
= 4613.959

we generally use logarithms and i don't know wat is "ln"

1. What is the kinetic theory of gases?

The kinetic theory of gases is a scientific model that explains the behavior of gases based on the motion of their particles. It states that gases are made up of tiny, constantly moving particles, and that their behavior can be explained by the average kinetic energy of these particles.

2. What are the assumptions of the kinetic theory of gases?

The kinetic theory of gases is based on three main assumptions: 1) The particles in a gas are in constant, random motion; 2) The particles have negligible volume compared to the volume of the container they are in; and 3) The particles do not interact with each other, except for collisions.

3. How does the kinetic theory of gases explain pressure?

According to the kinetic theory of gases, the pressure exerted by a gas is caused by the collisions of its particles with the walls of the container. As the particles move around and collide with the walls, they transfer their momentum and create a force that we perceive as pressure.

4. What factors affect the kinetic energy of gas particles?

The kinetic energy of gas particles is affected by three main factors: 1) Temperature - as temperature increases, the particles move faster and have more kinetic energy; 2) Mass - particles with higher mass have lower average kinetic energy compared to particles with lower mass; and 3) Molar mass - gases with higher molar mass have lower average kinetic energy compared to gases with lower molar mass at the same temperature.

5. How is the kinetic theory of gases related to the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. The kinetic theory of gases provides a theoretical explanation for the behavior of ideal gases, and the ideal gas law can be derived from the assumptions of the kinetic theory of gases.