Kinetic Theory Of Temperature Problem

In summary, we can determine the temperature of a gas by using the root-mean-square speed equation, which takes into account the mass of the molecules and the gas constant. In this case, with an rms speed of 600m/s and a mass of 4.6*10^-26kg, the temperature of the gas is 400K or 127 degrees Celcius. It is important to note that the equation may vary depending on the number of gas molecules present.
Iscariot
The rms speed of the molecules in a gas is 600ms^-1 and the mass of the molecules is 4.6*10^-26kg. What is the temperature of the gas in degrees Celcius?
[tex]
v_{r.m.s.}\=\600\ms^-1 \\
m\=\4.6x10^-26kg \\
n\=\6.022x10^23 \\
r\=8.31\j\k\mol^-1 \\
\\
\\
rt\=\frac{\2}{3}\(\frac{\1}{2}m<v^2>)\\
t\=\frac{\frac{\2}{3}\(\frac{\1}{2}m<v^2>)}{r}\\
t\=\frac{\frac{\2}{3}\(\frac{\1}{2}\x\4.6x10^-26\x\600^2)}{8.31}\\
t\=\frac{3324.14}{8.31}\\
t\=\400K\\
t(c)\=\400-273\=\127c\\
[/tex]
Does this seem correct? I have no way of checking the answer and I feel really unsure, especially using the Vr.m.s.
Thanks
EDIT: I can't understand why my TEX doesn't work :(

My tex code:

V_{r.m.s.}\=\600\ms^-1 \\
m\=\4.6x10^-26kg \\
N\=\6.022x10^23 \\
R\=8.31\J\K\mol^-1 \\
\\
\\
RT\=\frac{\2}{3}\(\frac{\1}{2}m<v^2>)\\
T\=\frac{\frac{\2}{3}\(\frac{\1}{2}m<v^2>)\\}{R}\\
T\=\frac{\frac{\2}{3}\(\frac{\1}{2}\x\4.6x10^-26\x\600)\\}{8.31}\\
T\=\frac{3324.14}{8.31}\\
T\=\400K\\
T(C)\=\400-273\=\127C\\

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to write the tex tag using lowercase letters.

1/2m(rms) = 3/2RT or possibly 1/2m(rms) = 3/2kT depends on the amount of gas molecules for one mole it would be the first one i think.

1. What is the Kinetic Theory of Temperature Problem?

The Kinetic Theory of Temperature Problem is a fundamental concept in physics that explains the relationship between temperature and the motion of particles in a substance. It states that the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance is directly proportional to its temperature, meaning that as the temperature increases, the particles in the substance will move faster.

2. How does the Kinetic Theory of Temperature Problem relate to the behavior of gases?

The Kinetic Theory of Temperature Problem is particularly applicable to gases, as the particles in a gas are constantly moving and colliding with each other. As the temperature of a gas increases, the average speed of its particles also increases, leading to a higher pressure and volume of the gas.

3. What is the significance of the Kinetic Theory of Temperature Problem in understanding the properties of matter?

The Kinetic Theory of Temperature Problem is essential in understanding the properties of matter, as it helps explain why substances behave in certain ways at different temperatures. It also provides a basis for understanding concepts such as heat transfer and phase changes.

4. Can the Kinetic Theory of Temperature Problem be applied to solids and liquids as well?

Yes, the Kinetic Theory of Temperature Problem can be applied to solids and liquids as well. While the particles in these states of matter are not as freely moving as those in gases, they still possess kinetic energy and are constantly in motion. The theory helps explain why solids and liquids expand when heated and contract when cooled.

5. Are there any limitations to the Kinetic Theory of Temperature Problem?

While the Kinetic Theory of Temperature Problem is a powerful and widely applicable concept, it does have some limitations. For example, it does not take into account the attractive forces between particles or the possibility of phase transitions. Additionally, it only applies to ideal gases and may not accurately describe the behavior of real gases at high pressures or low temperatures.