How Many Oxygen Molecules Are in One Cubic Centimeter at STP?

In summary, at standard temperature and pressure (273 K and 1 atmosphere), oxygen has a mass density of 1.43 kg/m3 and a molecular mass of 32 u. To calculate the number of molecules in one cm3 of oxygen, you must multiply the mass density by the volume and divide by the molecular mass. This yields a result of 2.69x10^25 molecules.
dnl65078

Homework Statement

At standard temperature and pressure (273 K and 1 atmosphere), oxygen has a mass density () of 1.43 kg/m3. The molecular mass (m) of oxygen is 32 u. Calculate the number (n) of molecules in one cm3 of oxygen. (Round to three significant figures.)

Homework Equations

R = 8.31 J/molK
kB = 1.38times10^-23 J/K

I thought I had to use the following formula.. n=p(density not pressure)V/m.. When i put it in. it didnt get the right answer

PLEASE HELP

Physics news on Phys.org
You have 1.43 kg of oxygen molecules and each molecule weighs 32 u. How many molecules do you have?

There are this many molecules in 1 m^3.

Welcome to PF.

YOu need to show your calculation steps explicitly so that we can try to figure out where you went wrong.

Do I have to convert u into kg??

the "u" is what's throwing me off. I've never seen that before

You don't have to, but I'm curious about how you're going to divide if you don't.

"u" is the atomic mass unit. Use the Internet and check it up!

dnl65078 said:
the "u" is what's throwing me off. I've never seen that before

Why would your teacher ask you question about something that he hadn't taught or defined in class? It stands to reason that you are supposed to know what it means.

Start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_mass

read the first paragraph until you get to "unified atomic mass unit", which should be a hyperlink. Then you can clink on that link to find out what it is.

cepheid said:
Why would your teacher ask you question about something that he hadn't taught or defined in class? It stands to reason that you are supposed to know what it means.

Hey I'm right there with you. He doesn't do anything. but give me a sec.

Do i have... 2.69x10^25 molecules??

Sorry I'm a total physics idiot.

dnl65078 said:
Do i have... 2.69x10^25 molecules??

Sorry I'm a total physics idiot.

I thought you already knew what the right answer was? (Otherwise, in your first post, how would you have known that your first attempt was wrong?)

I am using webassign so when I input the wrong answer it tells me so.

In one m^3, yes, but the question wants the answer in cm^3.

So i multiply that answer by 1x10^-6 and that should give me the right answer ?

yes, that's right

1. What is the Kinetic Theory Problem?

The Kinetic Theory Problem is a physical concept that explains the behavior and properties of matter at a microscopic level. It describes how particles in a gas or liquid move and interact with each other.

2. What are the assumptions of the Kinetic Theory?

The Kinetic Theory is based on three main assumptions: 1) all particles in a gas or liquid are in constant, random motion, 2) these particles are very small and have negligible volume compared to the container they are in, and 3) the particles do not interact with each other except through elastic collisions.

3. How does the Kinetic Theory explain the relationship between temperature and kinetic energy?

The Kinetic Theory states that the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, the particles move faster and have more kinetic energy.

4. Can the Kinetic Theory be applied to all states of matter?

Yes, the Kinetic Theory can be applied to all states of matter, including solids, liquids, and gases. However, it is most commonly used to explain the behavior of gases.

5. How does the Kinetic Theory explain the properties of gases, such as pressure and volume?

The Kinetic Theory explains that the pressure of a gas is caused by the constant collisions between gas particles and the walls of its container. It also states that the volume of a gas is determined by the volume of its container, as the particles have negligible volume and can move freely within the container.