1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Theory

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    Can someone explain me this theory ? and how to use the equation please

I have this in my notes but I dont understand :(

Average (translational) Kinetic Energy per molecule is

E= 3/2kT

The same, per mole, is U = 3/2 * R* T

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi
    The basics of deriving this involve quite a long string of steps and comes under the heading of 'bookwork'. I think you should just sit down with the book and follow it through. Else you can just accept it.
    If you don't have 'a book' then Wiki would be a way forward. Start with Boltzman Distribution

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3
    Do you recognise the experimental equation for the gas laws in the form
    PV = nRT ? where n = number of moles
    So for 1 mole the experimental law is PV = RT

The kinetic theory leads to an expression PV = (N/3) x mc^2 where N is the number of molecules.
    If this equation is written as 2(N/3) x 0.5mc^2 it makes no difference but it does highlight a combination 0.5mc^2 which is average KE of molecules.
    Putting the experimental equation and the theoretical equations together leads to

RT = 2(N/3) x 0.5mc^2 or 0.5mc^2 = (3/2)TR/N

so average KE = (3/2)TR/N
    R is the gas constant and N is the number of molecules in 1 mole (Avagadros number)
    The combination R/N of these constants is known as Boltzmanns constant, symbol k

Therefore average KE = (3/2)kT

Hope this helps

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook