Kinetics of particles (Energy)

In summary: Ferdinand P. Beer and E. Russell Johnston, Jr."In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a satellite in circular orbit and determining its kinetic energy. The solution method is discussed and the correct answer is found. However, the context of the problem is questioned.
sunumen
1. A 100 kg satellite is placed in a circular orbit 3500 km above the surface of earth. At this elevation the acceleration of gravity is 4.09m/s[tex]_{2}[/tex]. Determine the kinetic energy of the satellite , knowing that its orbitial speed is 22.9 x10[tex]_{3}[/tex]km/h

The answer:30.3 GJ

=====
I have drawn the free- body diagram, but I still don't know how to approach this problem.
I have considerd that :
1) THere is no work done on satellite by the earth. since the satellite is in cicular motion
so, I cannot use W=Fs to consider ??
2) No PE change, No KE change
so, I cannot use TE=KE+PE to consider??
3) Finally, this is a gravitation problem??

I try my best to recall what I have learned in secondary school, however, I sill haven't any idea on this..

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
If both mass and speed is given, then what's the problem in finding the KE? I think the speed should automatically come out from the other given data. So, I'll treat it as if you don't know thw speed.

The centripetal force should be equal to its weight.
So, mv^2/r = mg ==> v^2 = rg.
Now can you find mv^2/2?

Thanks for your reply, I can solve the problem by this method now
1) KE = 1/2 mv[tex]_{2}[/tex]
where mass is known
2) F[tex]^{c}[/tex]=F[tex]^{g}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{mv_{2}}{r}[/tex]= mg
3)the ration between the surface of Earth and at that specific height above the surface of the earth
g is inverse proportion to r[tex]_{2}[/tex]

so I can get the answer correctly,
but I found another similar< actually the same> problem
and I use this method again, however i cannot get the right answer

Is above solution wrong?

===============
The similar problem is that:

1. A 400 kg satellite is placed in a circular orbit 6394km above the surface of earth. At this elevation the acceleration of gravity is 2.45m/s. Determine the kinetic energy of the satellite , knowing that its orbitial speed is 20000km/h

The answer:1.11MJ

so sorry that some mistakes are found on the first post

1. A 1500 kg satellite is placed in a circular orbit 3500 km above the surface of earth. At this elevation the acceleration of gravity is 4.09m/s^2. Determine the kinetic energy of the satellite , knowing that its orbitial speed is 22.9 x10^3km/h

The answer:30.3 GJ

Last edited:
Please understand that KE is mv^2/2 and if the mass and speed both are given, you can find the KE simply by calculating mv^2/2. All the other data are irrelevant. So, the step 1 in your calc is enough. For your 1st prob, this gives a result of 32 KJ.

(For using Fc=mg, you have to assume some value for the radius of the earth. Taking 6370 km, I got KE = 2 GJ.)

Can you tell me in what context you obtained these problems?

THese problems are come from the reference book
"Vector Mechanics for Engineers - Dynamics" "Mc Graw - Hill"

1. What is meant by the "kinetics of particles"?

The kinetics of particles refers to the study of the movement of particles, including their speed, acceleration, and interactions with other particles and forces. It is an important aspect of physics and is used to understand the behavior of both large and small particles in various systems.

2. How is energy related to the kinetics of particles?

Energy is a fundamental aspect of the kinetics of particles. The movement of particles requires energy, and the amount of energy present in a system can affect the speed and direction of particle movement. In addition, the transfer and conversion of energy can cause changes in the kinetics of particles.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of particles?

The kinetic energy of particles is affected by their mass and velocity. The more massive a particle is, the more energy it has. Similarly, the higher the velocity of a particle, the more energy it possesses. Other factors such as temperature, friction, and external forces can also impact the kinetic energy of particles.

4. How is the kinetic energy of particles measured?

The kinetic energy of particles is typically measured using the equation KE = 1/2 mv^2, where m is the mass of the particle and v is its velocity. This equation can also be used to calculate the change in kinetic energy when the velocity of a particle changes.

5. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and potential energy in the kinetics of particles?

Kinetic energy and potential energy are two forms of energy that are often present in the kinetics of particles. Kinetic energy is the energy of movement, while potential energy is the energy that is stored in a system. As particles move and interact with each other, their kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy and vice versa. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of particles in various systems.