1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetics of Rigid bodies

1. Jan 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The rotor of an electric motor of mass 200 kg has a radius of gyration of 150 mm. Calculate the torque required
    to accelerate it from rest to 1,500 rev/min in 6 seconds. Friction resistance may be neglected.

2. Relevant equations
    ƩMO = Iα
    I = 1/2 (mr2
    I am really really stuck here, I don't know what equations I need to use, if this were a straight line question I would use v = u + at, but it isn't so that is wrong

3. The attempt at a solution
    All I have so far is this
    I = 1/2 (mr2
    I = 0.5 * 200 * 0.152
    I = 2.25 kgm2

Really lost. I just need some pointers please.

Kind regards

Rob
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In calculating I, the radius of gyration is not the radius of a disk. You can look up the formula for it, which is [itex]r = \sqrt{I/m} [/itex] (and note how it is derived).

You can find the angular acceleration α using the kinematic equations of rotational motion (watch units).

4. Jan 8, 2012 #3
    Brilliant, those are the words I didn't know to find the equation I couldn't find of variables I couldn't relate.

Found them all.

Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook