1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetics question

1. May 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question says:
    The decomposition of a gas on a surface follows the rate law : Rate is proportional to ##\frac {kP}{1+kP}##, where ##P## is the pressure and ##k## is a constant. Find the order of the reaction at high pressure.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    In the solution they have said that since ##P## is high therefore ##kP>>>1## due to which rate is proportional to ##\frac {kP}{kP}=1## which means the rate is a constant so it is a zero order reaction. What I say is that since they don't known the value of ##k## how can they come to the conclusion that ##kP>>>1##? If we assume k to be equal to a very very small number such that ##1>>>kP## then their assumption fails, and the rate is not a constant.
    So am I right about this thing or making a mistake?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2015 #2
    If doesn't matter what the value of k is. If you take a high enough pressure, the order will approach zero.

chet

4. May 4, 2015 #3
    But if we leave that proven part (I. e if pressure is increased order will tend towards zero) and use only this :
    Rate is proportional to $$\frac {kP}{1+kP} $$
    Then isn't the value of ##k## important?

5. May 4, 2015 #4
    Sure. At pressures less than on the order of 1/k.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted