Kinetics with Total Gas Pressures

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the reaction order and rate constant for the reaction 2C4H6 --> C8H12 at 320 degrees C. The data provided shows the change in pressure over time, and the conversation explores the use of the ideal gas law to calculate the moles of reactant and the relationship between pressure and reactant concentration. After some trial and error, the order of the reaction is determined to be 1.
flybynight

Homework Statement

I am considering the reaction 2C4H6 --> C8H12 at 320 degrees C. Both the product and the reactant are gases.
I have the data:
Time (minutes): 0.00 3.25 12.18 24.55 42.50 68.05
Total P (torr): 632.0 618.5 584.2 546.8 509.3 474.6

Find the reaction order and the rate constant.
Assume that only C4H6 is present at the start of the reaction.

Homework Equations

rate=k[C8H12]x
Perhaps PV=nRT?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to apply PV=nRT to the initial amount, hoping to find moles of reactant. However, I don't have a volume, so I don't know how to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help?

Why does the pressure goes down? Can you use this change to calculate how much C4H6 reacted?

Your rate equation is wrong.

I got it. Every time the reactant is changed into product, the pressure is one half for that molecule. So I found the values of the reactants and the products, and found the order is 1.

Thanks for the help,
Peter

I would approach this problem by first analyzing the given data and identifying any patterns or relationships. From the given information, we can see that the total pressure decreases over time, indicating that the reactant (C4H6) is being consumed and converted into the product (C8H12). This suggests that the reaction is not at equilibrium.

Next, I would consider the rate equation for this reaction, which is given as rate=k[C8H12]^x. From the provided data, we can see that the concentration of C8H12 increases over time, while the concentration of C4H6 decreases. This suggests that the reaction is first-order with respect to C8H12 and second-order with respect to C4H6.

To determine the rate constant (k), we can use the initial amount of C4H6 and the initial rate of the reaction. Since we are assuming that only C4H6 is present at the start of the reaction, we can use the initial pressure of 632.0 torr to calculate the initial concentration of C4H6. From the given rate data, we can also calculate the initial rate of the reaction (R0) at time t=0.

Using the equation rate=k[C4H6]^2, we can rearrange it to solve for k, which gives us k=R0/[C4H6]^2. Plugging in the values for R0 and [C4H6] at t=0, we can calculate the rate constant (k) for this reaction.

In conclusion, the reaction order is first-order with respect to C8H12 and second-order with respect to C4H6, and the rate constant (k) can be calculated using the initial amount of C4H6 and the initial rate of the reaction.

What is kinetics with total gas pressures?

Kinetics with total gas pressures is a branch of physical chemistry that studies the rates of chemical reactions and the factors that influence them, such as temperature, concentration, and total gas pressure.

What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental equation that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

How does total gas pressure affect reaction rates?

Total gas pressure affects reaction rates by influencing the number of collisions between reactant molecules. An increase in total gas pressure leads to an increase in the number of collisions, thus increasing the likelihood of successful reactions and increasing the reaction rate.

What is the effect of temperature on kinetics with total gas pressures?

Temperature has a significant effect on kinetics with total gas pressures. As temperature increases, the kinetic energy of molecules increases, leading to more frequent and energetic collisions between reactant molecules. This results in an increase in the reaction rate.

How do catalysts influence kinetics with total gas pressures?

Catalysts can influence kinetics with total gas pressures by lowering the activation energy required for a reaction to occur. This allows the reaction to proceed at a faster rate, without being affected by changes in total gas pressure.