1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetmatics coordinate

1. Jul 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At t=0, a particle leaves the origin with the velocity of 9.0m/s in the positive y direction and moves in the xy plane with a constant acceleration of ( 2.0i-4.0j) m/s ^2 . At the instant the x coordinate of the particle is 15 m , what is the speed of the particle ?

2. Relevant equations

V=u+aT , X= ut+ .5at

3. The attempt at a solution
    X coordinate: X=ut+.5at
    15= 0+ 2t
    find t and plug it in the y - coorodinate
    y coordinate : V=9-4t
    Is that corrected ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is incorrect. X= ut+ .5at^2

You seem to be completely misunderstanding the notation. V is the vector velocity. It is NOT the y coordinate. X is the vector position, it has both x and y components. It is NOT the x coordinate.

If the initial speed is u (which itself a vector with x and y components) then V= u+ at. Here, you are told that "At t=0, a particle leaves the origin with the velocity of 9.0m/s in the positive y direction and moves in the xy plane with a constant acceleration of ( 2.0i-4.0j) m/s ^2" so that u= <0, 9> and a= <2, -4>. V= <0, 9>+ <2, -4>t= <2t, 9- 4t>. Then X= <t^2, 9t- 2t^2>.

The x coordinate will be 15 when t^2= 15 or t= sqrt(15). Then y= 9t- 2t^2= 9sqrt(15)- 30.

4. Jul 23, 2013 #3
    That means I just consider the x and y component of the acceleration and put them to find the velocity of y component

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted