Calculating Acceleration of Kings Dominion Drop Tower

• Thread starter suwarna07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drop Tower
In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for the weight of an object on a ride at Kings Dominion for a physics project. Despite searching, they were unable to find the information and asked for help. Another person suggested calculating the mass using equations and the known values of drop speed, height, and acceleration due to gravity, taking into account air resistance. The original person had already attempted this but did not factor in air resistance, and they thank the other person for the suggestion.
suwarna07
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39972563@N04/3674854817" [Broken]

Its for my physics project and i have tried searching everywhere but couldn't find it.
It is drop zone of kings dominion and i want to find the weight of the object people are sitting on. Basically the whole circular thing.

can any1 help me?

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've had a look, can't find anything on it.

If it's for a physics project, you can get the drop speed and you know it's freefall (well I assume it is) so acceleration = gravity and you know the drop height. So why don't you plug these values into some equations and try to calculate the mass yourself? Now that would be impressive...

jarednjames said:
I've had a look, can't find anything on it.

If it's for a physics project, you can get the drop speed and you know it's freefall (well I assume it is) so acceleration = gravity and you know the drop height. So why don't you plug these values into some equations and try to calculate the mass yourself? Now that would be impressive...

yea about that i had tried doing that but the thing is i don't know how to calculate for the air resistance which makes it all difficult. i calculated v0, v1, t assuming no air resistance "sigh" on me :(

Well, you know the final speed, height and you know the initial speed, from that you can get it's acceleration (it should be less than g so it will give an approximation for air resistance).

jarednjames said:
Well, you know the final speed, height and you know the initial speed, from that you can get it's acceleration (it should be less than g so it will give an approximation for air resistance).

the thing is i used g as acceleration do find initial and final velocity

Yes, but if you know initial speed (0) and final speed (whatever value in m/s) and you know the height, you can use the equations of motion to get an acceleration value.

Because the final speed will be a 'real' speed attained with air resistance it will give you an acceleration which reflects it.

It's not perfect, but you should get a value for this and value with no resistance and it should give you some sort of 'grey area' to work within.

jarednjames said:
Yes, but if you know initial speed (0) and final speed (whatever value in m/s) and you know the height, you can use the equations of motion to get an acceleration value.

Because the final speed will be a 'real' speed attained with air resistance it will give you an acceleration which reflects it.

It's not perfect, but you should get a value for this and value with no resistance and it should give you some sort of 'grey area' to work within.

darn it y didnt i think of it earlier
thanks bro

1. What is the purpose of the Kings Dominion Drop Tower?

The Kings Dominion Drop Tower is a thrill ride designed to simulate the experience of free falling from a tall structure. It is meant to provide an adrenaline rush and an exciting experience for amusement park visitors.

2. How high is the Kings Dominion Drop Tower?

The Kings Dominion Drop Tower stands at a height of 305 feet, making it one of the tallest drop towers in the world. It is equivalent to a 30-story building.

3. How fast does the Kings Dominion Drop Tower drop?

The Kings Dominion Drop Tower reaches a top speed of 72 miles per hour during its descent, providing a thrilling and intense experience for riders.

4. Is the Kings Dominion Drop Tower safe?

Yes, the Kings Dominion Drop Tower is designed and regularly inspected to meet strict safety standards. Riders are secured with harnesses and are accompanied by trained ride operators to ensure a safe experience.

5. How long does the ride on the Kings Dominion Drop Tower last?

The ride on the Kings Dominion Drop Tower typically lasts around 3 minutes, with the actual drop portion lasting about 20 seconds. However, the anticipation and buildup before the drop can make it feel longer for some riders.