1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinimatics check

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1
    I have gotten the right ans for this question, but I am not too sure if I am worked it out the right way.

Question: A particle is projected vertically upwards from a point O with speed [itex]u ms^{-1}[/itex]. Two seconds later it is still moving upwards with a speed [itex]\frac{1}{3}u ms^{-1}[/itex]. Find a: the value of u, b: the time from instant that the particle leaves O to the instant that it returns to O.

I worked out U which is 29.4ms^-1.

It b: I am having trouble with, as I stated I have the right ans, but to sure on if I have gotten the ans correctly.

What I have done it is take the part where the ball is at 1/3 u and workout out the time of travel from the part where it passes 1/3u again and the add on 4 seconds. Not very good at explain hopefully the math will show better.

[itex]0=9.8t-4.9t^2 → 4.9t^2-9.8t=0 [/itex] solve and t=0 and t=2. So I then add on the 4sec and total time is 6 secs. Is this correct or not?

I would appreciate any help, big thanks in advance.

Sorry for the repost, the first one keeps telling me its invalid I cant edit it at all. So could one of the mods remove my older post.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Please explain where this equation comes from. Where did you get a velocity of 9.8?

Why not deal directly with velocity equations? Much simpler.

4. Apr 13, 2013 #3
    I got it from the 1/3*29.4. I didn't know that I could deal with directly as there are two different velocity, for the way up. That is why I broke it down.

5. Apr 13, 2013 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

But that kind of assumes the answer, doesn't it?

Just use vf = vi - gt .

6. Apr 13, 2013 #5
    Okay I am with you. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted