1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinmatics easy problem

1. Jul 10, 2004 #1
    Hi there,
    Please help me with this problem
    I read physics on my own so this is not a homework !!

Suppose you fire a rifle bullet (1600 m/s) in a shooting gallery and hear the gong on the target ring 0.731 s later.
    Taking the speed of sound to be 330 m/s and assuming the bullet travels straight downrange at a constant speed, how far away is the target ?

Here is my work :
    Given { (v_1) = 1600 m/s, (v_2) = 330 m/s, t_T = 0.731 }
    Find {l}
    There is a distance between us and the target ring (l) that the problem asks to find it.
    I know that when speed is constant or we know the average speed we can find (l) the distance traveled :
    l = t.v
    But in the problem we don’t have t_1 ( the time taken by bullet to reach the target ) and we don't have t_2 ( the time taken by sound to reach our ear ) then we must have v_T (The average speed in from firing the bullet till reaching the sound to our ears ) but to finding that we need to know l_T ( the total distance traveled ) so what shall we do ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF! Don't be afraid to ask questions, as long as you show your work.

Write down what you do know. Start with t_1. Since d = vt, we have:
    (1) [itex]L = v_{bullet}t_1[/itex]
    And then for t_2, we have:
    (2) [itex]L = v_{sound}t_2[/itex]
    But we know t_T = t_1 + t_2, so can you find an equation for t_T in terms of the speeds and distance?
  4. Jul 10, 2004 #3
    Yes I can !
    With PF I don't feel lonely in the rest of the way in studying physics.
    Thank you very much.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?