Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinnersley Metric

1. Aug 16, 2014 #1
    In the Wiki article about the Vaidya metric :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaidya_metric

there is mention of a "further generalisation" called the Kinnersley metric, without giving any details or even a reference. Is this a generalisation of the Vaidya metric to include angular momentum ( i.e. a radiating Kerr or Kerr-Newman solution ), or is it something different ? Does anyone have a link to the specific form of the Kinnersley metric ?

I am really just curious, and somewhat disappointed about the poor quality of this particular Wiki page, and its lack of referenced sources.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2014 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

The metric is known as Kinnersley's relativistic rocket. You can easily google it.

4. Aug 17, 2014 #3
    The Kinnersley photon rocket. Got it, and will do my own research into it. Thank you :)

5. Aug 17, 2014 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See the interesting discussion in section 19.5.2 "Kinnersley's rocket" from the excellent book "Exact Space-Times in Einstein's General Relativity" by Jerry B. Griffits and Jiri Podolsky.

6. Aug 28, 2014 #5
    Thank you George Jones for the reference - unfortunately I do not own a copy of this text, but I will see what I can do to track down this book at a reasonable cost. Seems like a worthwhile investment !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook