Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinoki Foot Pads

1. Dec 29, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

https://www.buykinoki.com/?cid=398358

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2007 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Holy Cow! If I wasn't so heavily invested in Chia Pets, I'd dump everything into Kinoki Foot Pads! What an innovation!

4. Dec 30, 2007 #3
    Hey I heard about these last weekend. There is a mcgill university professer of chemistry that does a radio show out of montreal on CJAD that is simulcast here in Toronto on cfrb. His name is Dr joe schwartz. He does a 1 hour show on chemistry in our everyday lives. He did a quick discussion on these pads with the explanation that the sweat from your feet activate some chemicals in the pads that produce brown staining.This staining is purported to be "bad " chemicals comeing out of your body. Dr Joe says it is a hoax. He goes well into investigating this kind of thing to determine if these types of things are usefull or quackery. Dr. Joe's radio show http://www.cjad.com/shows/19157

Dr.Joes University page http://oss.mcgill.ca/

Past Dr Joe shows. http://oss.mcgill.ca/joeshow-a.php

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  5. Dec 31, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do they at least absorb the sweat and prevent stinky feet? Or are they totally useless?

6. Dec 31, 2007 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For that we have another ancient Japanese secret: Dr Scholls foot pads

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  7. Jan 15, 2008 #6

CEL

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4083

8. Jan 15, 2008 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I've seen the infomercials on those things. I just about spit my drink out when I saw it. They even go through chemical analysis of what was in the pad after the next morning. Wow!

There is indeed a sucker born every minute.

9. Jan 17, 2008 #8
    Can you explain why...?

This was a few years ago. My boss, of that era, purchased these from an older couple who sold them around town. I received them as a gift, long before commercial days for this product.

I used them for about a week. I wore them all day, every day till the pads stopped turning dark brown. There was no adhesive on these. They were outwardly designed like a very expensive bandage (or feminine maxi.) The inner layers were consistent with a very absorbent maxi, tho you can feel there is a gritty type substance in the middle, like dry herbs.

The first day the pads were black. You notice there is moisture within the pad. It is damp and sticky. The next couple days they're more dry, less moisture appears to be inside. The moisture concentrates to an area around the middle. They finally end up coming out with no moisture and no visible darkness. My feet seem to feel less moist at the end of the day after using these. A co-worker used them at the first signs of a cold, and he turned out much better than what he anticipated at first signs of illness.

The article boasts a natural herb with some type of negative ionic effect. Is it probable that this be true? For those that are claiming this is a scam, provided with my testimony, do you have any explanation for the results I received?

What can these pads consist of, that would produce such result? As a 'green' business owner and retail provider, I may like to carry these if the likelihood, that they work, is greater than not. I appreciate any help regarding answers to these questions.

Many blessings of Joy & Fruit, may Life be a Smoothie.

;)

Angel of Organic Earth

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  10. Jan 17, 2008 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The only "benefit" from such an item is a "placebo" effect, it's not real. If your feet perspire less with continued use, there could be an antiperspirant in the pads. There could also be a chemical in the pad that reacts to moisture, the less moisture, the less darkening.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  11. Jan 17, 2008 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They don't even claim to reduce perspiration.

Angelswalk, one or two anecdotal and subjective reports mean nothing. If you can produce test data from a nationally recognized lab that shows that body toxins were reduced after use, that would be another thing. But you won't find any because this is absolute nonsense.

Note that someone who didn't get as sick as they expected is not a test of anything. It means nothing. We have no idea how sick that person would have been otherwise. But I would bet the farm that if we could know, the difference was zip.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  12. Jan 17, 2008 #11
    Why don't one of you do a test? Use the pad for a night and then see what is in it? I'm sure one of you has lab access. I think it is a scam, but it would be easy to disprove once and for all.

13. Jan 17, 2008 #12
    I suspect some form of tannic acid in them, which turns dark brown with sweat/salts.

14. Jan 17, 2008 #13
    Maybe tea leaves. No more foot oder when using tea. Also, if you perspire the tea would get wet and then brown.

15. Jan 20, 2008 #14
    If Kinoki Foot Pads are a scam, why aren't they investigated?

16. Jan 20, 2008 #15

turbo

Gold Member

For the same reason that copper bracelets, homeopathic "medicines", magnetic innersoles, etc aren't investigated. Quacks make a lot of money on this stuff, and there is little incentive to spend time and money to debunk them. As long as these products don't harm people, the government won't go after them.

17. Jan 20, 2008 #16

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The FDA is not given jurisdiction over the "Natural" or alternative medicine industry. Thanks to their lobbying efforts in congress, they are exempted from producing clinical data to support their claim. That's why you can also see those "homeopathic spray" commercials. Only after there is a health scare do the authorities step in.

Zz.

18. Jan 20, 2008 #17
    Can't these scam companies be sued for false advertising if the product doesn't work as described?

19. Jan 20, 2008 #18

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

All they need to claim is: "Results may vary", and that's that. They can show a few people who got "better" by using it and they're done. Unless you're willing to really do a clinical study of your own to show convincingly that it doesn't work, then you have no proof that it doesn't, and that's what they are counting on. So they have managed to turn the burden of proof on you, rather than the other way around.

Zz.

20. Jan 20, 2008 #19

CEL

One example of this is the infamous Q-Ray bracelet. The FTC filed a complaint with the courts on May 27, 2003, after several months of investigation and preparation for litigation. (see ftc.gov/os/caselist/0323011/qtinccmp.pdf). After four and a half years of complex, protracted litigation, Judge Frank Easterbrook, the Chief Judge of the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals ordered reimbursement in a minimum amount of $22.5 million up to a maximum of $87 million.
    Of course the scammers earned much more during this time and they will continue to scam people in other countries.

21. Jan 20, 2008 #20

turbo

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?