Kirchhoff Voltage Rule Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to solve a circuit with three loops and encountering issues with summing the currents correctly. They have attached an image of the problem and are questioning the validity of including certain terms in their calculations. They are advised to make sure that charge is also conserved in order to solve the circuit successfully.
bob1352
Homework Statement
Just for practice, not for any assignment
Relevant Equations
Kirchhoff Voltage Rule, Sum of Voltage Drops in Loop is Equal to Zero.
I tried doing three loops. For the bottom I did 9-I1(1) + I2(1) - I3(10) -12 = 0, for the upper left corner I did 12 - I2(1)- I2(5) = 0, for the upper right corner I did 9 - I1(1) - I1(8) = 0. I came to I1 =1, I2 =2 and I3 = .2. This was incorrect, I don't think I am summing the currents correctly. I have attached an image of the problem.

Attachments

• Kirkoff Voltage Rule Problem.PNG
    Kirkoff Voltage Rule Problem.PNG
    5.4 KB · Views: 60
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you have a term I1(8)? I1 is the current through the 1.00 Ω resistor. Is all that current also going through the 8.00 Ω resistor or does some of it split at the junction on the right? Same problem with the I2(5) term. To solve such circuits you need to make sure that charge is also conserved. This means that the net current through any junction must be zero.

1. What is Kirchhoff's Voltage Rule?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Rule, also known as Kirchhoff's second law, is a fundamental law in circuit analysis that states that the algebraic sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero. This means that the total voltage drop in a closed loop must equal the total voltage rise.

2. How is Kirchhoff's Voltage Rule applied in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Rule is applied by using it to write equations for each closed loop in a circuit. These equations can then be solved simultaneously with other equations, such as Kirchhoff's Current Rule, to determine the values of unknown currents and voltages in the circuit.

3. What is the difference between Kirchhoff's Voltage Rule and Kirchhoff's Current Rule?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Rule deals with the voltage drops and rises around a closed loop in a circuit, while Kirchhoff's Current Rule deals with the currents entering and leaving a node in a circuit. Both laws are based on the principle of conservation of energy.

4. What are some common problems that involve Kirchhoff's Voltage Rule?

Some common problems that involve Kirchhoff's Voltage Rule include finding the voltage drop across a specific resistor in a circuit, determining the voltage at a certain point in the circuit, or calculating the total voltage in a closed loop.

5. Can Kirchhoff's Voltage Rule be applied to any type of circuit?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Voltage Rule can be applied to any type of circuit, including series circuits, parallel circuits, and complex circuits with multiple loops. It is a fundamental law in circuit analysis and is used to solve a wide range of circuit problems.