Kirchhoff's 2nd Law: Terminal PD Calculation Homework

• Thread starter Janiceleong26
  • Start date
  • Tags
    2nd law Law
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of terminal p.d. (potential difference) in a circuit, specifically for part (iv) 2 and 3 of a question. It is mentioned that for 2), the terminal p.d. of A is equal to the e.m.f. (electromotive force) of A minus the p.d. across the internal resistance of A. However, for 3), the terminal p.d. is equal to the e.m.f. of B plus the p.d. across the internal resistance of B. It is also noted that cell B is connected reversely in the circuit and that the polarity must be considered when adding two series voltages. The conversation concludes with a simpler method for calculating
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

image.jpg
image.jpg

For part (iv) 2 and 3 of this question, I don't understand why for 2) terminal p.d. of A is the e.m.f of A minus the p.d. across the internal resistance of A i.e. Va = 4.4-(0.24x2.3), I=0.24A
But for 3) the terminal p.d. is the e.m.f of B PLUS the p.d. across the internal resistance of B i.e. Vb= 2.1+(1.8x0.24)

Homework Equations

ΣE.m.f = Σp.d. around a closed circuit

The Attempt at a Solution

I minus the p.d. across the internal resistance to the e.m.f. for both cases. I can't to seem to see why is this wrong..

Physics news on Phys.org
I have never solved such an exercise, but since you provide the answers, I would guess the folllowing:

Cell B is connected reversely in the circuit. Thus, the pd of B is actually the voltage DROP it contributes to the circuit. Thus, its resistor actually enhances its pd.
Indeed, if you swap cell A with emf 3.848 and no resistor, and cell B with emf 2.532 and no resistor, you would get a total emf 1.316, which divided by 5.5 gives the current of 0.24A.

If you minus the pd across the internal resistor, this is wrong because it is actually one time with and one time versus the circuit loop.
What I would have done (and don't know if it would be considered wrong) is give cell B's pd as a negative value.

Once you apply KVL over the loop, you'll figure out the current's value and its direction is COUNTER clock wise. Now, if you want to add two series voltages up, you simply need to add the values of these voltages up, BUT you MUST consider the polarities.
In your case,
Cell A:
Since the current direction is counter clock wise, then it will pass Cell A from the right to the left. It will meet the resistance first (with positive sign)and then it will meet the negative terminal of the voltage source (negative sign).
(0.24*2.3 - 4.4 ) = - 3.848 V , the negative sign means the current will first meet the negative terminal of the new voltage.

Cell B:
The current will meet first the positive terminal of the voltage source (positive sign) and then it will find the resistance (positive sign too). As a result, we do the following
(0.24*1.8 + 2.1) = 2.532 V, similarly, the positive sign means the current will initially meet the positive terminal of the new voltage.

I hope this helps a bit.

Best regrads,
G.P.

[
Gmen said:
I have never solved such an exercise, but since you provide the answers, I would guess the folllowing:

Cell B is connected reversely in the circuit. Thus, the pd of B is actually the voltage DROP it contributes to the circuit. Thus, its resistor actually enhances its pd.
Indeed, if you swap cell A with emf 3.848 and no resistor, and cell B with emf 2.532 and no resistor, you would get a total emf 1.316, which divided by 5.5 gives the current of 0.24A.

If you minus the pd across the internal resistor, this is wrong because it is actually one time with and one time versus the circuit loop.
What I would have done (and don't know if it would be considered wrong) is give cell B's pd as a negative value.
how do you know which internal resistor is versus or with?

GoodPost said:
Once you apply KVL over the loop, you'll figure out the current's value and its direction is COUNTER clock wise. Now, if you want to add two series voltages up, you simply need to add the values of these voltages up, BUT you MUST consider the polarities.
In your case,
Cell A:
Since the current direction is counter clock wise, then it will pass Cell A from the right to the left. It will meet the resistance first (with positive sign)and then it will meet the negative terminal of the voltage source (negative sign).
(0.24*2.3 - 4.4 ) = - 3.848 V , the negative sign means the current will first meet the negative terminal of the new voltage.

Cell B:
The current will meet first the positive terminal of the voltage source (positive sign) and then it will find the resistance (positive sign too). As a result, we do the following
(0.24*1.8 + 2.1) = 2.532 V, similarly, the positive sign means the current will initially meet the positive terminal of the new voltage.

I hope this helps a bit.

Best regrads,
G.P.
For Cell A:
I thought Counter clockwise would be from left to right?
For cell B:
Which is the new voltage you are referring to?

Hhhh ...
I dunno, in my room the clock moves from left to right ><
New voltage = voltage source + voltage across the resistor inside the cell.

G.P.

GoodPost said:
Hhhh ...
I dunno, in my room the clock moves from left to right ><
New voltage = voltage source + voltage across the resistor inside the cell.

G.P.
Huh? I thought all clocks moves from right to left?? I.e. Clockwise?? :oldconfused:
Ok thanks so much

if this is confusing you do it the easy way

take out one of the batteries (leave its resistance in )

you will have a 4.4V source feeding a 9.6 ohm resistance. Work out the current A

swap the battery, you have 2.1 V source feeding a 9.6 ohm resistance. Work out the current B

total current = A - B (they subtract rather than add because the batteries oppose)now the PDs you want are just ohms law. you know current i; you know resistance R

Likes Janiceleong26
Janiceleong26 said:
Huh? I thought all clocks moves from right to left?? I.e. Clockwise?? :oldconfused:
^^
Janiceleong26 said:
Ok thanks so much
You're welcome, all the best wishes.

G.P.

William White said:
if this is confusing you do it the easy way

take out one of the batteries (leave its resistance in )

you will have a 4.4V source feeding a 9.6 ohm resistance. Work out the current A

swap the battery, you have 2.1 V source feeding a 9.6 ohm resistance. Work out the current B

total current = A - B (they subtract rather than add because the batteries oppose)now the PDs you want are just ohms law. you know current i; you know resistance R
Thanks! That was clear! :)

What is Kirchhoff's 2nd Law?

Kirchhoff's 2nd Law, also known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop circuit must equal zero. This means that the voltage drops and gains across all components in the loop must balance out.

How do you calculate terminal PD using Kirchhoff's 2nd Law?

To calculate terminal PD (potential difference) in a circuit using Kirchhoff's 2nd Law, you must first identify all the voltage drops and gains in the circuit. Then, write an equation for the sum of these voltages, setting it equal to zero. Finally, solve for the unknown voltage, which will be the terminal PD.

What is the difference between Kirchhoff's 1st and 2nd Laws?

Kirchhoff's 1st Law, also known as Kirchhoff's Current Law, states that the sum of all currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit must equal zero. This law deals with current flow, while Kirchhoff's 2nd Law deals with voltage drops and gains in a circuit.

Can Kirchhoff's 2nd Law be applied to all types of circuits?

Yes, Kirchhoff's 2nd Law can be applied to all types of circuits, including series and parallel circuits. It is a fundamental law of circuit analysis and is applicable in all electrical circuits.

Why is Kirchhoff's 2nd Law important in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's 2nd Law is important in circuit analysis because it allows us to determine unknown voltages in a circuit and ensure that our calculations are accurate. It also helps us understand the flow of electricity in a circuit and how different components affect the overall voltage in the circuit.