How Does Kirchhoff's Law Apply to Circuits with Multiple Batteries?

In summary, the conversation discusses Kirchhoff's circuit law problems involving two batteries in a circuit. The participants go over equations for the bottom and top loops, discussing the direction of current flow and the convention for the terminals of a battery. They eventually solve the equations and clarify that the sign of the current does not affect the final equation, but rather indicates the direction of current flow.
Thrax
Hi,
I’m having some trouble with Kirchhoff's circuit law problems regarding two batteries in the circuit. I've attached a crude picture of a problem i picked to understand what's going on.
So for the bottom loop I have
5V - 5v = i1 - i2
0= i1 – i2
The top loop I’m coming up with
5 = i2 -2(i1+i2)
5= i2 -2i1 -2i2
-1(5 = -2i1 -i2)
So I’m left with
5 =2i1 +i2
0= i1 – i2
5=-2i1
0=- i1
5=-3i1
5/-3 = i1
But, I think this is wrong.

Attachments

• Circuit.bmp
    186 KB · Views: 530
Physics news on Phys.org
What convention do you use for the terminals of a battery? Is the short line positive or negative? If the short line is positive than the eq. for the top circuit is 5 = i2 + 2(i1+i2). (I1+I2) flows according to the "walking round" direction in the loop.

ehild

Well, I use whatever gets me there...But, the short line is negative.

I'm not sure what to do when i hit a battery. I know that you assign a positive value to the battery if the battery output follows the tracing direction. But, for some reason it doesn't always work out. Like you see in this problem...

Follow the change of potential along the tracing direction in a loop. Choose a point like A with zero potential in the figure and trace the potential along the loop. It should be zero when returning to A.

For the bottom loop: According to the tracing direction, you go down then to the left. Passing the battery, the potential changes to -5 V. Along the first resistor, the potential falls by I1*R1, so you have -5-I1. Then you go to the right , along the second resistor, but the current flows against the tracing direction. The right end of the resistor is positive with respect to the left one: the potential becomes -5-I1+I2. Then the second battery follows, the potential increases in the tracing direction and becomes 0 at A:

-5-I1+I2+5=0.

For the top loop, you start at A again and follow the tracing direction. The potential drops by 5 V through the battery, than by I2*1 through the 1 ohm resistor, then by 2(I1+I2) through the 2 ohm resistor on the top.

-5-I2-2(I1+I2)=0

Can you follow me?

ehild

Attachments

• twoloops.JPG
    twoloops.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 337
Yes, I believe i do. Let me take a stab at it and see what trouble i can get into...

Thrax said:
Yes, I believe i do. Let me take a stab at it and see what trouble i can get into...

What do you mean with that stab? :frown:

Solve the equations. What do you get?

ehild

I've got -1A for I1, 1A for I2 and 2A for I3

Sorry, typed that in wrong...I've got -1A for I2, 1A for I1 and 0? for I3.

See the first equation: It is I1-I2=0. So I1=I2, is not it??

ehild

I3 is 2A, but i don't see the I1-I2 in this situation. Arnt I1 and I2 both converving onto
I3? Or I am I looking at it wrong?

Oh yeah...i see it now. Thanks!

One more thing...This might be a stupid question. But once you've found I1 and I2. If one of those is a negative number...it indicates that the current is flowing in the other direction. So, if I3 = I1 + I2 and let’s say that I1=-1, and I2 = 1would that change the equation to
I3= I1-I2 giving you the 2A?

The sign of the current can be anything it does not change the equation I3=I1+I2. For example, if f I1=2 A and I2 = -3 A, then I3 =(2)+(-3)= -1 A.

I1=I2 from the first equation. And I3=I1+I2 because of the nodal rule. Is it all right?

Plug in I1 for I2 in the second equation.

-5-I2-2(I1+I2)=0 --->-5-I1-2(I1+I1)=0 --->-5-5I1=0 --->

I1=-1A, I2=-1A. I3=I1+I2=(-1)+(-1) = -2 A. .

So all currents flow in the opposite direction as you assumed.

ehild

You make the equations assuming that the currents flow to some directions. After you solve the equations a minus sign just tells you that the current flows to opposite direction than the one you assumed. Now that you know the real current flows if you make the equations again they will be different BUT if you solve the new equations you will not find minus signs.

1. What is Kirchhoff's circuit law?

Kirchhoff's circuit law, also known as Kirchhoff's current law and Kirchhoff's voltage law, are fundamental principles in electrical engineering that describe the behavior of electrical circuits. These laws state that the total current entering a junction in a circuit must equal the total current leaving the junction, and the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of voltage gains.

2. What are the applications of Kirchhoff's circuit law?

Kirchhoff's circuit law is used to analyze and design electrical circuits, such as in the fields of power systems, electronics, and telecommunications. It is also used in the design and testing of circuit boards, electrical components, and other devices.

3. How do you apply Kirchhoff's circuit law?

To apply Kirchhoff's circuit law, you must first identify all the junctions and closed loops in the circuit. Then, use the law of conservation of charge (Kirchhoff's current law) to write equations for the currents at each junction, and use the law of conservation of energy (Kirchhoff's voltage law) to write equations for the voltage drops and gains in each closed loop. Finally, solve the system of equations to determine the behavior of the circuit.

4. Is Kirchhoff's circuit law applicable to all types of circuits?

Yes, Kirchhoff's circuit law is applicable to all types of circuits, including series, parallel, and complex circuits. It is a fundamental principle of electrical circuit analysis and can be used to solve problems in any type of circuit.

5. Can Kirchhoff's circuit law be violated?

No, Kirchhoff's circuit law is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. However, in some cases, the application of this law may lead to errors due to simplifications or assumptions made in the analysis. In such cases, it is important to carefully consider the assumptions and revisit the analysis if necessary.