Solve Kirchhoff's Law Problems - Get Help Now

• Thread starter TJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation is about a Kirchhoff's Law problem involving resistors and finding equivalent resistance. The conversation also includes questions and values for potential drops and current through the resistors. The final answer for Rt is determined to be 30Ω. There is also a discussion about understanding how to relate different values and finding the values for other resistors.
TJ
Kirchhoff's Law problem. I have figured most of the problems but these two has me stumped. Please help.

Please see the figures and my questions at http://quasarsvc.bizland.com/DC_Circuit.doc

http://quasarsvc.bizland.com/DC_Circuit.doc

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you show the steps and figures, to find resistor sequence(s) to find Rt so I may work the other values
Find the equivalent resistance of [tex]R_5[/tex], [tex]R_6[/tex] and [tex]R_7[/tex], which are connected in parallel, and call it [tex]R_{5,6,7}[/tex]. Find the equivalent resistance of [tex]R_4[/tex] and [tex]R_{5,6,7}[/tex], which are connected in series, and call it [tex]R_{4,5,6,7}[/tex]. Find the equivalent resistance of [tex]R_3[/tex] and [tex]R_{4,5,6,7}[/tex], which are connected in parallel, and call it [tex]R_{3,4,5,6,7}[/tex]. Find the equivalent resistance of [tex]R_1[/tex] and [tex]R_2[/tex], which are connected in parallel, and call it [tex]R_{1,2}[/tex]. Finally find the equivalent resistance of [tex]R_{1,2}[/tex], [tex]R_{3,4,5,6,7}[/tex] and [tex]R_8[/tex], which are connected in series, and that is the equivalent resistance of the whole circuit.

The numbers in the loop problem represent the potential drop on each of the resistors. To find the value of the potential drops you have to find the current through each of the resistors, and to find that you first need to find the equvilanet reisstance of the whole circuit.

1) R567 = 10
2) R567+R4 = 20
3) R4567+R3 = 12
4) R1&R2 = 12
5) R12(12)+R34567(12)+R8(6) = 30 = Rt ?
Appreciate your efforts.
TJ

Yes it's [tex]30\Omega[/tex] in the first question.

Post 237

Thank you for acknowledging the Rt so I can work the rest of them

Have E1,E2,E3 = 12v
Have I1=0.6, I2=0.4, I3=0.4
Have P1=7.2, P2=4.8,P3=4.8
need understanding of "how to" relating to R4=10, Et=30, Rt=30 It=1.0 to complete E4 or I, and would not that E value be the same for E5, E6, E7, E8?
Thanks
TJ

What is Kirchhoff's Law?

Kirchhoff's Law, also known as Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws, are fundamental principles in electrical engineering that describe the behavior of current and voltage in electrical circuits. These laws are used to analyze and solve complex circuit problems.

What are the two laws in Kirchhoff's Law?

Kirchhoff's Law consists of two main principles: Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL). KCL states that the sum of currents flowing into a node (or junction) in a circuit must equal the sum of currents flowing out of that node. KVL states that the sum of voltage drops (or rises) around a closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of voltage sources in that loop.

How do I apply Kirchhoff's Law to solve circuit problems?

To solve a circuit problem using Kirchhoff's Law, you must first draw a circuit diagram and label the nodes, branches, and voltage sources. Then, apply KCL at each node and KVL around each closed loop in the circuit. Use these equations to create a system of equations that can be solved to find the unknown currents or voltages in the circuit.

What are some common mistakes when applying Kirchhoff's Law?

One common mistake when applying Kirchhoff's Law is forgetting to include all the currents or voltage drops in the equations. Another mistake is incorrectly labeling the nodes or loops in the circuit. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of the current flow and the polarity of the voltage sources when using KCL and KVL.

Can I use Kirchhoff's Law to solve any circuit problem?

Kirchhoff's Law is a powerful tool for analyzing and solving circuit problems, but it may not be applicable to all circuits. In some cases, other laws and principles such as Ohm's Law or the Superposition Theorem may need to be used in conjunction with Kirchhoff's Law. It is important to understand the limitations and assumptions of Kirchhoff's Law when applying it to a circuit problem.