Solving I3 Resistor Problem with Kirchhoff's Laws

In summary: You're still missing the R3 in the equation.In summary, R3 is needed in order to find the current through the resistor.
Loke
Find the current in I3 resistor by using kirchhoff's laws.

problems:
-when i try to use norton theorem to check for my answer and my answer is IN=2.855A=I3 but when i use kirchhoff's law i get I3=0.645A.
-i don't know where is the problems...the current for norton theorem and kirchhoff's law should be the same right?

Attachments

• kirchhoff's law.jpg
    kirchhoff's law.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show your work. We can't tell where the problem is if all you do it post two numbers and ask why they aren't equal. That said, as long as you solve the problem correctly, you should get the same result regardless of which method you use.

By I3, I assume you mean the current flowing through resistor R3. If that's the case, neither of your answers appears to be correct, based on my calculations.

Loke said:
Find the current in I3 resistor by using kirchhoff's laws.

problems:
-when i try to use norton theorem to check for my answer and my answer is IN=2.855A=I3 but when i use kirchhoff's law i get I3=0.645A.
-i don't know where is the problems...the current for norton theorem and kirchhoff's law should be the same right?

attempt solution:
-norton theorem
IN=VS/(R1+R4)=2.86A

-kirchhoff's law
20-2I1-5I1-5I2=0
5I3+5I3-5I2=0
I1=I2+I3

What exactly is I3 supposed to be? And why would you expect it to be equal to IN?

Ohh... in my kirchhoff's law equation, my I2 is flowing through resistor R3 and i get I2 equal to -1.29A not I3=0.645A i wrote wrongly ...whereas in my norton theorem equation, my I3 flowing through resistor R3...which is IN=2.855A...the answer is not the same...please advice.

Last edited:
by the way, can you show me your solution? actually this is not my homework... i just want to know how to do...because i almost exam...i just simply find a question and do...or at least tell me your answer...i work it out myself...i really running out of time...no offence...thanks...

Last edited:
Your set-up using Kirchoff's laws is correct. Solving those equations, I found I1=60/31, I2=40/31, and I3=20/31.

With the Norton approach, if you redraw the circuit after the transformation, you have the current source and three resistors in parallel. Your mistake is thinking all the current from the source will flow through only one of those resistors.

as for norton theorem approach, i shorted R3 and i get IN=V14/R14=V25/R14=20/7=2.855A i still got the same answer...and how to find RN when i open R3 and shorted voltage source ...R1+R2+R4+R5=17ohm ? how about Rtotal...when you short the R3 ...Rtotal also = 17ohm?

Attachments

• lol.jpg
    lol.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 364
  • Rn.jpg
    Rn.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 370
  • Rtotal.jpg
    Rtotal.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
You're not preserving the original circuit correctly with your transformations. For example, in your first picture, you have the R2/R5 combination connected directly to the battery, but in the original circuit, neither resistor is connected to the battery.

I split the original circuit into two pieces. Try replacing the portion on the left with its Norton equivalent. Also, since R2 and R5 are in series, you can replace them with one resistor. You should end up with a current source and three resistors in parallel.

Attachments

• kirchhoff's law.jpg
    kirchhoff's law.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 354
mind if i see how you work it out the solution? i uploaded the pic...but if i shorted the R3 ...then i don't know how to proceed.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 363
Ignore the righthand piece of the circuit completely for now and find the Norton equivalent of just the left piece.

yes... that's how i do in the beginning ...IN=V14/R14=20/7=2.855A ...but why i still can't get 1.29A ...

So what does the circuit look like after you've replaced the lefthand piece with its Norton equivalent?

ermmm..i don't know how to solve the lefthand piece with its norton equivalent...In=R25 ?

Last edited:
You're not "solving" anything. Norton's theorem says you can replace a linear circuit with a current source in parallel with a resistor.

If you short the output of the lefthand piece, you will find IN=20/7 A. Now, zero/short the voltage source and find the equivalent resistance of the lefthand piece. You will get R=7 ohms. Norton's theorem says you can replace the original voltage source and two resistors with the 20/7-A current source in parallel with the 7-ohm resistor.

If you draw the new circuit, you should have the current source, the 7-ohm resistor, R3, and the combination of R2 and R5 all in parallel.

ermmm ...then what should i do next in order to get I3=1.29A ? oh the second pic is the correct 1 ~?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 346
  • 3.png
    3.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 340
The second picture is close. Are you leaving R3 out for some reason?

u meant RN parallel with R3 parallel with R25 and parallel with current source ?

Yes.

oh i got it already! find the total V and then find for I3 :))

Last edited:
No. You're trying to find the current in R3, right? Try looking up "current divider."

Thanks ~~~~ i got it ^^

but when i use thevenin theorem much more easier !

1. How do I approach solving an I3 resistor problem with Kirchhoff's Laws?

To solve an I3 resistor problem using Kirchhoff's Laws, you will first need to draw a circuit diagram and label all the given values and unknowns. Then, you can apply Kirchhoff's Laws (Kirchhoff's Current Law and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) to set up a system of equations. Finally, you can use algebraic methods to solve for the unknown values.

2. What is Kirchhoff's Current Law and how is it used to solve I3 resistor problems?

Kirchhoff's Current Law states that the sum of currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. This law is used to set up a system of equations by equating the currents entering and leaving the nodes in a circuit, which can then be solved to find the unknown values.

3. Can Kirchhoff's Laws be used to solve any circuit problem?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Laws can be used to solve any circuit problem that involves resistors and other passive elements. However, they may not be the most efficient method for solving more complex circuits with multiple sources and non-linear elements.

4. What are the limitations of using Kirchhoff's Laws to solve I3 resistor problems?

Kirchhoff's Laws assume that the circuit is in steady state and that the resistors are linear. This means that they may not be accurate for circuits with changing currents or for circuits with non-linear elements such as diodes or transistors. In addition, the calculations can become very complex for larger circuits.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving I3 resistor problems?

Yes, there are alternative methods for solving I3 resistor problems such as using Ohm's Law or applying nodal or mesh analysis. These methods may be more efficient for more complex circuits and can also be used to verify the solutions obtained using Kirchhoff's Laws.