Kirchhoff's Rules, system of equation problem

In summary, the conversation discusses how the speaker came up with three equations using Kirchhoff's loop rule to find different currents in a DC circuit. However, when solving the equations using a matrix, it resulted in an infinite number of solutions. This is because two of the equations are equivalent, and the addition of the junction rule is necessary to narrow it down to one solution. It is recommended to always use an equation generated by the junction rule to ensure a sufficient number of linearly independent equations.
coile3
I came up with three equations, to find three different currents in a DC circuit, using Kirchhoff's loop rule, but when I solved them as a matrix in my calculator the bottom row becomes all zero's and the first two rows do not appear to be in "rref" form. I solved the system of equations by hand and when I add the solution from the first two (my new equation) to the third I get 0=0. Is this because they are dependent? If I use Kirchoffs junction rule to get an additional equation I can substitute the junction equation for any of the original three and get the answers. Should I always use the junction rule to find at least one of my equations, and is this problem due to not having used an equation from the junction rule originally or is it an occasional occurance and normally using any three equations (following Kirchhoff's rules) will give me the results I need?

thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably, two of the three equations you obtained using the loop rule are equivalent, which means that without the junction rule you don't have enough information to solve the problem.

Essentially, you're trying to solve 2 equations for 3 unknowns, so you get an infinite number of possible solutions. The addition of the junction rule narrows it down to one solution.

Thanksl that is exactly what has happened, I get an infinite amount of solutions so, Does that mean I should always use an equation generated by the junction rule?

Does that mean I should always use an equation generated by the junction rule?

In these types of problems it is usually necessary, since the currents are related.

You MUST use the junction rule (explicitly or implicitly). You will have an insufficient number of linearly independent equations without it.

1. What are Kirchhoff's Rules?

Kirchhoff's Rules, also known as Kirchhoff's circuit laws, are a set of fundamental principles that govern the behavior of electrical circuits. They were developed by German physicist Gustav Kirchhoff in the mid-19th century.

2. What is the first rule of Kirchhoff's Rules?

The first rule, also known as Kirchhoff's current law, states that the algebraic sum of currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit must equal zero. This law is based on the principle of conservation of charge.

3. What is the second rule of Kirchhoff's Rules?

The second rule, also known as Kirchhoff's voltage law, states that the algebraic sum of voltages in a closed loop must equal zero. This law is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

4. How are Kirchhoff's Rules used to solve system of equation problems?

In a circuit with multiple branches, Kirchhoff's Rules can be used to create a system of equations representing the currents and voltages in each branch. By solving this system of equations, the unknown currents and voltages can be determined.

5. What are some applications of Kirchhoff's Rules?

Kirchhoff's Rules are used in various fields, such as electrical engineering, physics, and electronics, to analyze and design circuits. They are also used in the development of technologies such as sensors, electronic devices, and communication systems.