Kirchhoff's Rules Homework Solutions for Circuit Problem

• Thread starter RyanSchw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rules
In summary, the problem is that you are not solving for three independent loops, you are solving for two loops that are only dependent on each other.
RyanSchw

Homework Statement

Sorry for edit, accidentally posted.

Circuit is show in my attachment. I have 3 loops with three unknown currents.

8 Ohms of resistance down the left side.
6 Ohms of resistance and a 4V battery down the center.
4 Ohms of resistance and a 12V battery down the right side.

I honestly have no idea if I'm even approaching this correctly.

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Rules

The Attempt at a Solution

See attachment:

Loop A (Big Loop)
-8I1 +12V +4I1 +4I3 = 0
-4I1 +4I3 = -12V

Loop B (Left)
-8I1 +4V -6I1 +6I2 = 0
-14I1 + 6I2 = -4V

Loop C (Right)
-6I3 - 6I2 - 4V + 12V - 4I3 = 0
-10I3 - 6I2 = -8V

combine in a matrix
I1 I2 I3 V
a -4 0 -4 -12
b -14 6 0 -4
c 0 -6 -10 8

rref()

I1 = 1.083
I2 = 1.861
I3 = -1.917

Im not entirely sure, but I think these are voltages for the loops, so from there I would set
V= IR for each of the loops to find the current, but this produces the wrong answer. This is the easiest circuit in my textbook, and I have been searching the web for problems which is only making matters worse I think.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have three independent loops. Only two are independent, equation for the third loop is a linear combination of two others. Third equation that you need to solve is about currents in the upper node.

But second opinion won't hurt, could be I am missing something. It happens when I stick my head outside of Chemistry forum :grumpy:

--
methods

I don't think it is right. For instance, the -8I1 +12V +4I1 +4I3 = 0
should be -8I1 +12V + 4I3 = 0 because I1 does not flow through the 4 ohm resistor.

Recommend you just use two currents. Say, I1 as you have it down the left side and I2 in place of your I3 up on the right side. Then the current down the center is I2 - I1. This gives you a system of two equations to solve so quite a bit simpler. Just do the left and right loops to get them.

I'm still not sure that I know what I'm doing, but sticking to two loops helped; I have the correct answers now. This is such a headache, you guy have no idea how long I've been stuck on that simple little problem, onto the next one.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 292
Super! Glad to see you using that matrix method for solving linear systems.
I had a lot of trouble with that problem, too. I find it hard to get the sign of each term right.

1. What are Kirchhoff's Rules?

Kirchhoff's Rules, also known as Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws, are two fundamental principles used to analyze electrical circuits. They are named after German physicist Gustav Kirchhoff and are essential in solving circuit problems.

2. What are the two rules of Kirchhoff's Laws?

The two rules of Kirchhoff's Laws are the Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL). KCL states that the sum of currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving that node. KVL states that the sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero.

3. How are Kirchhoff's Rules applied to solve circuit problems?

Kirchhoff's Rules are used to set up a system of equations that can be solved to find unknown voltages or currents in a circuit. KCL is used to write equations for nodes, while KVL is used to write equations for loops. These equations can then be solved using algebraic methods.

4. What is the importance of Kirchhoff's Rules in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's Rules are fundamental principles in circuit analysis and are used to solve a wide variety of circuit problems. They allow for the calculation of unknown values in complex circuits and provide a methodical approach to analyzing circuits.

5. How do Kirchhoff's Rules account for the conservation of energy and charge in circuits?

Kirchhoff's Laws are based on the principles of conservation of energy and charge. KCL ensures that the amount of current entering a node is equal to the amount leaving, which follows the principle of conservation of charge. KVL ensures that the sum of voltages around a closed loop is zero, which follows the principle of conservation of energy.