Kirchhoff's Rules Homework: Current & Voltage Measurements

• Thread starter lha08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rules
In summary: Ammeters have fractions of an ohm, so unless you were using relatively tiny resistances in your circuit (meaning those fractions of an ohm were significant), the ammeter's resistance doubtfully worsened your results.
lha08

Homework Statement

So i had to do an experiment which consisted of measuring the current and voltage across different resistors. Here's my question: i recorded the current through the wire that passes through the resistor and compared it with the current which i calculated (theoretical). In this case, when i apply the junction rule using the current i read from the ammeter, it is NOT equal to zero (somehow its higher than 0). Like why is this the case? I'm not sure if its right but could it be that we were not using an ideal circuit, that is, there is resistance in the wires that could have affected our ammeter readings? Like I'm thinking that the resistance in the wire also affect our voltmeter readings as well...am i on the right track?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lha08 said:

Homework Statement

So i had to do an experiment which consisted of measuring the current and voltage across different resistors. Here's my question: i recorded the current through the wire that passes through the resistor and compared it with the current which i calculated (theoretical). In this case, when i apply the junction rule using the current i read from the ammeter, it is NOT equal to zero (somehow its higher than 0). Like why is this the case? I'm not sure if its right but could it be that we were not using an ideal circuit, that is, there is resistance in the wires that could have affected our ammeter readings? Like I'm thinking that the resistance in the wire also affect our voltmeter readings as well...am i on the right track?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Are you saying that the sum of the current entering and leaving a node measured during a lab equaled a nonzero?

xcvxcvvc said:
Are you saying that the sum of the current entering and leaving a node measured during a lab equaled a nonzero?

when i calculated it i got like 0.07 A, which is obviously not equal to zero and does not obey the Junction Rule..and i can't figure out what particular reasons why this is..

lha08 said:
when i calculated it i got like 0.07 A, which is obviously not equal to zero and does not obey the Junction Rule..and i can't figure out what particular reasons why this is..

Hmm. Do you remember if during measurement the ammeter's readings fluctuated rapidly (such as +/- 50 mA)? Maybe your equipment's precision prevented the demonstration of junction rule.

xcvxcvvc said:
Hmm. Do you remember if during measurement the ammeter's readings fluctuated rapidly (such as +/- 50 mA)? Maybe your equipment's precision prevented the demonstration of junction rule.
They were fluctuating but not that quickly but that is a possibility. But like generally do ammeter and voltmeter equipment contain resistance or something that would cause discrepancies in their readings? But like i said earlier, could the connecting wires that i used also cause discrepancies because they have resistance? ..not really sure

lha08 said:
They were fluctuating but not that quickly but that is a possibility. But like generally do ammeter and voltmeter equipment contain resistance or something that would cause discrepancies in their readings? But like i said earlier, could the connecting wires that i used also cause discrepancies because they have resistance? ..not really sure

Ammeters have fractions of an ohm, so unless you were using relatively tiny resistances in your circuit (meaning those fractions of an ohm were significant), the ammeter's resistance doubtfully worsened your results.

With these types of measurements, usually there isn't much room for the theory to go wrong -- you have a flow of charge inward that must equal the flow of charge outward, else charge was created or destroyed. Yes, the actual current values will be different compared to the theoretical calculations (mostly due to the resistors' tolerances, wire resistance, etc.), but still, the sums leaving and entering should equal zero or a very small value due to rounding error/precision of the measuring device. 70mA seems high, though.

Last edited:

What are Kirchhoff's rules?

Kirchhoff's rules, also known as Kirchhoff's circuit laws, are fundamental principles in circuit analysis that describe how current and voltage behave in a circuit. They are used to calculate the values of currents and voltages at different points in a circuit.

What is the first rule of Kirchhoff's rules?

The first rule, also known as Kirchhoff's current law, states that the algebraic sum of currents entering and leaving a junction in a circuit is zero. This means that the amount of current flowing into a junction must be equal to the amount of current flowing out of it.

What is the second rule of Kirchhoff's rules?

The second rule, also known as Kirchhoff's voltage law, states that the algebraic sum of voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit is zero. This means that the total voltage supplied by a battery or power source must equal the sum of voltage drops across each component in the loop.

How do I apply Kirchhoff's rules to a circuit?

To apply Kirchhoff's rules, you first need to identify all the junctions and closed loops in the circuit. Then, use the first rule to write equations for the currents at each junction and the second rule to write equations for the voltage drops around each closed loop. Finally, solve the equations simultaneously to find the values of currents and voltages in the circuit.

What are some practical applications of Kirchhoff's rules?

Kirchhoff's rules are used in many areas of electrical engineering, such as circuit analysis, design, and troubleshooting. They are also important in other fields that involve electrical circuits, such as electronics, telecommunications, and power systems. Understanding Kirchhoff's rules allows engineers and scientists to accurately analyze and predict the behavior of complex circuits, making them essential tools for problem-solving and innovation in various industries.