1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kirchhoff's Voltage Rule loops

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    I set this circuit up in my physics lab and measure all the required voltages, currents and resistors. I have been ask to prove that Kirchhoff's Voltage Rule is valid by applying it to all 7 loops. I am only able to find 3 loops and I am unsure as to where the other 4 are. I found 4 other possibilities however, they do not include the power supply and don't work according to Kirchhoff's Rule. Hopefully you can give me some hints as to where the other 4 loops are hiding

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi summersun! :smile:

There are 3 "basic" loops.

Then there are another 3 loops each containing two "basic loops".

And there is 1 loop (the whole thing, obviously! :rolleyes:) containing all three "basic loops".

Total 7.

You can get 7 Kirchhoff's Rules equations, one for each loop, but only three of the equations will be independent (ie, you can work out any of the other 4 from any 3).

(The number of independent equations for any circuit is the same as the number of "basic loops".)

Try all the loops :smile:, and let us know if one isn't working. :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?