Calculating i5 Using Kirchoff's Junction Rule

• Thread starter MarieWynn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Junction
In summary, when adding up the currents leaving a node, you should use a + sign on the current that is leaving the node and a - sign on the current that is entering the node.
MarieWynn

Homework Statement

prob03_current2.gif

Calculate the current i5 in the configuration. Use the following data: i1=8.65 A, i2=5 A, i3=7.85 A, and i4=8.5 A.

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's junction rule states that the sum of the currents meeting at a junction has to equal zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

According to the junction rule, i1+i2+i4=i3+i5. When I plugged in the numbers, I got i5=14.3 A but my homework says that is wrong. Does the direction of the arrows affect the outcome or am I overthinking it at this point?

Physics news on Phys.org
MarieWynn said:

Homework Statement

prob03_current2.gif

Calculate the current i5 in the configuration. Use the following data: i1=8.65 A, i2=5 A, i3=7.85 A, and i4=8.5 A.

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's junction rule states that the sum of the currents meeting at a junction has to equal zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

According to the junction rule, i1+i2+i4=i3+i5. When I plugged in the numbers, I got i5=14.3 A but my homework says that is wrong. Does the direction of the arrows affect the outcome or am I overthinking it at this point?

It is better to either add up the currents leaving a node, or add up the currents entering a node. I personally like to add the currents leaving a node and set that sum equal to zero. So yes, the arrow directions definitely do make a difference. Since I like to add up the currents leaving a node, I would use a + sign on all of the currents in the figure that are leaving the node, and a - sign on the currents that are entering the node. The sum of thoses currents (with either a + or - sign in front of each) has to equal zero.

[tex]\Sigma I_n = 0[/tex]

So for my particular example:
Entering the node: i1, i4, and i3? i3 and i5 confuse me. When I add up the total, I get -i1+i2-i3-i4=-20. So i5 would have to be 20 for the total to equal zero. I feel like I am still missing something here.

MarieWynn said:
So for my particular example:
Entering the node: i1, i4, and i3? i3 and i5 confuse me. When I add up the total, I get -i1+i2-i3-i4=-20. So i5 would have to be 20 for the total to equal zero. I feel like I am still missing something here.

That is all correct, IMO. So you write the equation like this:

-i1+i2-i3-i4+i5=0

And solve for i5. That gives you the answer you mention. Is it correct?

The problem with the diagram is that it is hard to see a node.

A node is basically a point in space where the different circuit elements meet.

Notice how i3 and i5 are heading to the same direction but they are different in magnitude.

This is when you know there is a node(s) between.

Thanks so much guys! 20 was correct and I understand why. :)

1. What is Kirchoff's Junction Rule?

Kirchoff's Junction Rule, also known as Kirchoff's Current Law, states that the sum of currents entering a junction in an electrical circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving the junction. In other words, the total current flowing into a point in a circuit must be equal to the total current flowing out of that point.

2. Why is Kirchoff's Junction Rule important?

Kirchoff's Junction Rule is important because it is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis. It allows us to determine the behavior of complex circuits by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. It also helps us to understand how current flows through different branches in a circuit.

3. How do you apply Kirchoff's Junction Rule?

To apply Kirchoff's Junction Rule, you must first identify all the junction points in a circuit. Then, for each junction, you can write an equation stating that the sum of currents entering the junction is equal to the sum of currents leaving the junction. Finally, you can solve these equations to determine the currents in different branches of the circuit.

4. Can Kirchoff's Junction Rule be applied to any type of circuit?

Yes, Kirchoff's Junction Rule can be applied to any type of circuit, including series, parallel, and more complex circuits. It is a general principle that applies to all types of electrical circuits.

5. Are there any limitations to Kirchoff's Junction Rule?

While Kirchoff's Junction Rule is a useful tool for analyzing circuits, it does have some limitations. For example, it assumes that the current flows evenly through all parts of a circuit, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. It also does not take into account the effects of non-ideal components, such as resistance in wires and components.