1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kirchoff's Law problem

1. May 11, 2014 #1
    http://i.imgur.com/EFciS60.png

How do you do part e? Also can someone explain why the current I3 isn't 0 if the switch has been closed for a long time? Doesn't it behave like a short circuit if the switch is closed because the capacitor becomes fully charged and the current becomes zero ish?

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

This is simple circuit analysis. You have to show an attempt yourself.

If the switch has been closed for a long time that current is zero.

No, it becomes an OPEN circuit and the current is zeor-ish.

Yes, and you should have shown some attempt at your own work in the homework template.

4. May 11, 2014 #3
    Oh this was from a test, I could have shown it but I got 5.5/10 on it so it wasn't very useful.

5. May 11, 2014 #4
  6. May 11, 2014 #5
    What's the difference? I thought they were the same thing? They both mean the switch is open no?

7. May 11, 2014 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you understand that a short circuit and an open circuit are not the same thing? Sloppy terminology results from and/or causes sloppy thinking, so saying that a short circuit and an open circuit are the same thing is not a good idea.

8. May 11, 2014 #7
    Ya no kidding...

9. May 11, 2014 #8
    Do you guys think these answers are correct? I posted the problem to chegg but I have like 3 different answers. I think this one might might be legit, but I don't know if it's really discharging or not. I think it's charging up because it's an open circuit and current is trying to pass through it but it's fully charged. I don't understand what he did for part D so I think that's wrong, but everything else is legit.

QbAjrXd.png

(or on imgur)
    http://i.imgur.com/KxAoeQ4.jpg?2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted