1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kirchoff's Law

1. Nov 10, 2012 #1
    Hello dear Physics Forums community, I need your help! I m an electrical engineering student in second class, and I m stuck with a different kind of problem (probably different to me only, lawl) in the Circuit Analysis.

I believe this problem will be a stepping stone for the other problems I can't solve yet.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the attachment.

2. Relevant equations

Guess they are the Voltage law and Current Law.

3. The attempt at a solution

I m stuck, can't do a thing, will appreciate the attempts to guide me to solution.

Thank you!

Edit, Lol, the problem asks the voltage difference between point a,(the corner on left-top) and point b(the left-bottom corner of the loop in right)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Indicate on your diagram where currents are flowing. Then determine the potential drops across all the components. Do a "KVL walk" from point a to point b.

Hint: A continuous current requires a complete circuit.

4. Nov 10, 2012 #3
    Hmm, so I guess there's no current flowing through the line in the middle?

5. Nov 10, 2012 #4

gneill

That happens to be a good guess.

6. Nov 10, 2012 #5
    Nice! And can I simply discard the 5v battery and the 10 ohm resistor when I m doing the KVL walk?

7. Nov 10, 2012 #6

gneill

Nope. The 5V voltage remains 5V no matter what; it's an ideal supply and cannot change. What's the potential drop across the resistor if the current is zero?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook