Kirchoff's Laws: Solving Simultaneous Equations for Circuit Analysis

• Thread starter Knissp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary, the conversation discusses using Kirchoff's Laws to solve a problem involving a set of simultaneous linear equations and the application of Ohm's Law. The problem statement and equations are provided and the individual attempts at solving the problem are shared, including a possible mistake with the voltage source and a potential error in calculating the potential difference across a resistance.
Knissp
[SOLVED] Kirchoff's Laws

Homework Statement

A link to the problem statement is provided here: http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5305/kirchoffry1.png
(with one modification: the question should read find the current in the .75 ohm resistor)

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law: R=delta(V)/I
loop rule: sum(changes in potentials) = 0 (for closed loop)
junction rule: because of conservation of charge, the currents follow such that:
I_1 + I_2 = I_3

The Attempt at a Solution

I am supposed to solve a set of simultaneous linear equations. The first one is simply the node equation
I_1+I_2=I_3.
Then by looking at the top loop, I have:
2.25 - (I_2)*(3) - (I_3) * (4.2) = 0
The next part is what I am somewhat confused about.
I can either make one of two loops for the final equations: the bottom one with the middle wire included, or the top and bottom one as a whole.
For just the bottom loop, I get:
4.75 - (I_1)*(.75) + 1 - (I_1)*(1.2) + (I_2)*(3) +2.25 = 0
I am not sure if this is right because I don't know if it is appropriate to add the voltages 1 and 4.75 when they have the resistor between them. Perhaps I am supposed to use their potential difference? But then in that case, the .75 ohms would be internal resistance and I don't have any emf. And, I think it is probably incorrect to assume that the current going through the 1.2 ohm resistor is the same as I_1.
For the whole loop (the biggest one which does not include the middle wire), I get:
4.75 - (I_1)*(.75) + 1 - (I_1)*(1.2) - (I_3)*(4.2) = 0
When I solve this simultaneously with the first two equations, I get a different answer from when I solve the first three simultaneously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: sorry for double posting, but maybe I should rephrase my question since nobody has offered any assistance.

Why doesn't Ohm's Law work? The potential difference is (4.74-1) V or 3.75 V, applying Ohm's Law, delta(V)/R= I, so 3.75/.75 = 5 A but that is incorrect. Why?

Knissp said:
4.75 - (I_1)*(.75) + 1 - (I_1)*(1.2) + (I_2)*(3) +2.25 = 0

You have the sign of the 2.25 V voltage source wrong.

Knissp said:
EDIT: sorry for double posting, but maybe I should rephrase my question since nobody has offered any assistance.

Why doesn't Ohm's Law work? The potential difference is (4.74-1) V or 3.75 V, applying Ohm's Law, delta(V)/R= I, so 3.75/.75 = 5 A but that is incorrect. Why?

Because your potential difference across the 0.75 ohm resistance is wrong. I can see no reason why it would have that value.

1. What are Kirchoff's Laws?

Kirchoff's Laws are fundamental principles in electric circuit analysis that help determine the behavior of electrical circuits. They are used to calculate voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit.

2. What are the two main laws in Kirchoff's Laws?

The two main laws in Kirchoff's Laws are Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL) and Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL).

3. How do you use Kirchoff's Laws to solve simultaneous equations for circuit analysis?

To use Kirchoff's Laws for solving simultaneous equations, you need to set up a system of equations based on KVL and KCL for the circuit. Then, you can use algebraic techniques to solve for the unknown variables.

4. Are Kirchoff's Laws always accurate in circuit analysis?

While Kirchoff's Laws are based on theoretical principles and are generally accurate, there may be instances where they do not accurately describe the behavior of a circuit. This could be due to factors such as non-ideal components or complex circuit configurations.

5. Can Kirchoff's Laws be applied to both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, Kirchoff's Laws can be applied to both DC (direct current) and AC (alternating current) circuits. However, in AC circuits, the laws may need to be modified to account for the changing voltage and current over time.