IHelp with Electronics Circuit Problem: -4.444V & 98.75W

In summary, the person has been teaching themselves electronics from a specific book and is seeking help with a problem. They know the answer but are struggling with the method used to arrive at it. The equation they have come up with is incorrect and they are confused about the definition of V0 on the diagram. After receiving assistance from others, they realize their equation had incorrect signs and the diamond voltage is not necessary to solve the problem. The correct equation for V0 is v0/4=-10-2v0.
p75213
I have been teaching myself electronics from "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits". Can somebody help me with the attached problem? I know the answer, as it is given in the back of the book. However the method used to arrive at the answer eludes me. The answer is -4.444V and 98.75W. I have been able to figure out subsequent problems but this one has me stumped.
I get the following equation for V0 -> V0/4=(10+2V0)

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 03 23.49.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 03 23.49.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 518
Physics news on Phys.org
Check the definition of V0 on the diagram. It's not what you wrote in the equation.

Yea, check your signs. Current goes through a resistor from high to low voltage, your equation has charges gaining energy from the resistor.

Thanks guys.

the picture is very confusing, what is the diamond voltage??

The diamond voltage is not necessary to figure out v0. The correct equation for v0 is v0/4=-10-2v0.

What is the significance of -4.444V in the circuit problem?

The -4.444V represents the voltage drop across a specific component in the circuit. It is a negative value, indicating that the current is flowing in the opposite direction of the voltage source.

What does 98.75W represent in the circuit problem?

98.75W is the power dissipated by the circuit. This value can be calculated by multiplying the voltage and current in the circuit.

How can I determine the current in the circuit?

The current in the circuit can be calculated by dividing the voltage (-4.444V) by the resistance of the circuit. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by using Ohm's Law, which states that current is equal to voltage divided by resistance.

What could be causing the -4.444V voltage drop in the circuit?

The -4.444V voltage drop could be caused by various factors such as faulty components, incorrect wiring, or a high resistance in the circuit. It would be necessary to analyze the specific components and connections in the circuit to determine the exact cause of the voltage drop.

How do I troubleshoot and solve this circuit problem?

To troubleshoot and solve this circuit problem, you can start by checking the connections, components, and overall design of the circuit. You can also use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current at different points in the circuit and compare it to the expected values. If necessary, you can replace faulty components or adjust the circuit design to improve its performance.