1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kirchoff's loop rule

1. Sep 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Compute the current through R2 of the circuit in the figure.

2. Relevant equations
    kirchoff's loop rule
    V=IR

3. The attempt at a solution
    Junction: I1+I2=I3

Alpha loop: V1-I3R3-I5R5=0
    I1=(V1-I5R5)/R3=?

Beta loop: V2-I8R8-I5R5=0

*without one of the currents provided I am not exactly sure where to proceed from here...any help would be greatly appreciated! Anything that is a different color than black in the figure is what I added to the circuit diagram! Thank You PF!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2013 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

You have two of the currents (in terms of other variables) so you can find the third.

4. Sep 11, 2013 #3
    I have been trying to figure out the algebra but I am always left with two variable (grouping of I1, I2, or I3). I am not sure how I can get it down to just one variable for current...

5. Sep 11, 2013 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

start here:

I3 = I1 + I2

and you know what I1 and I2 are, yeah? So....

I3 = ?

6. Sep 11, 2013 #5
    I3=(-5v+(5ΩI8))/-8Ω

?????

7. Sep 11, 2013 #6

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I'm not sure what you did there... I1 and I2 will be in terms of I3 and your knowns.

Actually, I'm not quite sure what you did for your alpha/beta loops either. There is no I5 or R5 or I8/R8. Don't try to plug in your values yet, just use the names of the constants.

8. Sep 11, 2013 #7
    I think I figured it out I have a value of 1.076A through R2. really appreciate the help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted