Kirchoff's Voltage Law and Current Law --

In summary, the conversation is about solving a circuit with three loops and three unknown currents, I1, I2, and I3, using KVL and KCL equations. The equations for two of the loops are correct and adding the third equation I1=I2+I3 is enough to solve for the currents. However, the third loop equation is not independent and can be obtained by adding the first two, making the system overdetermined. The conversation includes suggestions for solving the system of equations, such as using algebra and substitution, and encourages the individual to review simultaneous equations if they are not familiar with solving them. Overall, the conversation focuses on providing guidance and strategies for the individual to solve the problem on their own.
shibuzgeorge

Homework Statement

Ub8ZocX.png

Homework Equations

Using Loop 1, 2 and 3

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2017-4-22_20-22-40.png

Physics news on Phys.org
upload_2017-4-22_20-26-56.png

Likes berkeman
You have to give I1, I2, I3 in terms of the resistances R1,R2,R3 and the Emf -s ε1 and ε2. The equations for loops 1 and 2 are correct, and adding the third equation I1=I2+I3 is enough to solve for the three currents.

Likes berkeman
Welcome to the PF.

Things look okay so far to me. You still need to plug the equation for I2 into your equation for I1, and then the equation for I3 also gets combined. The result they want you to show only has the values of the voltage sources and resistances in it.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Things look okay so far to me. You still need to plug the equation for I2 into your equation for I1, and then the equation for I3 also gets combined. The result they want you to show only has the values of the voltage sources and resistances in it.

I tried so many times but just can't get it with voltages and resistances. Can you show me step by step?

You need only two of the KVL loops and the one KCL equation to solve the circuit.

Your circuit has only two independent loops. Once you've written KVL for loops 1 and 2, every component has been "touched" by one or the other or both equations, and no new information can be gained by writing another loop equation; the equation set will simply become overdetermined.

To see that this is so you might cast your three loop equations into matrix form:

upload_2017-4-22_16-5-43.png

If you take the determinant of the impedance matrix (the square matrix), you'll find that it is zero, and hence no unique solution can be found from them.

Only two of the loop equations are useful. The third one isn't independent; if you add the equations for loop 1 and loop 2 together, you get the equation for loop 3. So solve the system consisting of two of the loop equations and the KCL equation.

At this point, it's algebra. You've likely solved this kind of problem before: 3 equations, 3 unknowns. It just doesn't look familiar because you're not using the variables x, y, and z.

Likes gneill
vela said:
Only two of the loop equations are useful. The third one isn't independent; if you add the equations for loop 1 and loop 2 together, you get the equation for loop 3. So solve the system consisting of two of the loop equations and the KCL equation.

At this point, it's algebra. You've likely solved this kind of problem before: 3 equations, 3 unknowns. It just doesn't look familiar because you're not using the variables x, y, and z.

I can't do the algebra its just not working for me! I just need a full method step by step in how you get the final answer with voltages and resistances

Can you solve a problem like the following? (Not asking you to solve it, but do you know what to do?)
\begin{align*}
2x + y &= 6 \\
-x + 2y &= 0
\end{align*}
How about this?
\begin{align*}
2x + 3y &= 2 \\
4y-2z &= 0 \\
-3x + 5z &= 10
\end{align*}

vela said:
Can you solve a problem like the following? (Not asking you to solve it, but do you know what to do?)

\begin{align*}
2x + y &= 6 \\
-x + 2y &= 0
\end{align*}

How about this?

$$\begin{align*}
2x + 3y &= 2 \\
4y-2z &= 0 \\
-3x + 5z &= 10
\end{align*}$$

WHAT?? NO IDEA! Thought simultaneous equations but no

Yes, they're simultaneous equations. You've solved them before. If you don't remember how, you need to go back and review the methods.

No one here is going to work it out step by step for you because that's against forum rules. Berkeman already gave you a suggestion on how to finish the problem above, but you need to do the actual work. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Be brave.

Here is another strategy. You have three equations. One of them is KCL ##I_1=I_2+I_3##. OK, replace all occurrences of ##I_1## with ##(I_2 + I_3)## in the two KVL equations. You will get two equations having unknowns ##I_2##, ##I_3##. Solve one of them to find ##I_2## in terms of ##I_3##. Replace the expression for ##I_2## that you get in the other equation. This will give you a single equation with ##I_3## as the only unknown. Solve it. Then go back and find ##I_2## and finally go back and find ##I_1##. There are less cumbersome ways of getting to the answer as other have suggested, but this is straightforward and easy to understand.

kuruman said:
Here is another strategy. You have three equations. One of them is KCL ##I_1=I_2+I_3##. OK, replace all occurrences of ##I_1## with ##(I_2 + I_3)## in the two KVL equations. You will get two equations having unknowns ##I_2##, ##I_3##. Solve one of them to find ##I_2## in terms of ##I_3##. Replace the expression for ##I_2## that you get in the other equation. This will give you a single equation with ##I_3## as the only unknown. Solve it. Then go back and find ##I_2## and finally go back and find ##I_1##. There are less cumbersome ways of getting to the answer as other have suggested, but this is straightforward and easy to understand.

That is really long and I want to know a quicker way please

1. What is Kirchoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL) states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop circuit must equal zero. This means that the voltage drops across all components in a circuit must add up to the voltage supplied by the source.

2. What is Kirchoff's Current Law?

Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) states that the total current flowing into a junction in a circuit must equal the total current flowing out of that junction. In other words, the amount of current entering a junction must be equal to the amount of current leaving that junction.

3. Why are Kirchoff's Laws important in circuit analysis?

Kirchoff's Laws are fundamental principles in circuit analysis, which is the process of determining how electrical components and sources behave in a given circuit. They allow us to understand and predict the behavior of complex circuits by simplifying them into simpler parts and using these laws to find the relationship between the different components.

4. Can Kirchoff's Laws be applied to both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, Kirchoff's Laws can be applied to both DC (direct current) and AC (alternating current) circuits. These laws are based on the principles of conservation of energy and conservation of charge, which hold true for both types of circuits.

5. What are some real-life applications of Kirchoff's Laws?

Kirchoff's Laws have many practical applications in industries such as electronics, electrical engineering, and telecommunications. They are used to design and analyze circuits in various devices such as computers, televisions, and smartphones. They are also used in power systems to ensure that electricity is distributed efficiently and safely.