Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Kirk Cameron plans to re-distribute The Origin of Species

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    how sad, this guy is an idiot

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/22/kirk-camerons-origin-of-s_n_294349.html?meh" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It is astoundingly ridiculous that someone would try to skew the truth to push their personal beliefs. I have never understood this type of thinking. He has radical evangelical beliefs, he does not represent the majority of Christians in this country, IMO. Even the Catholic church agrees with evolution.

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Oh yes, this has been known for a long time. 'Banana Man' went viral many moons ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Nov 9, 2009 #4
    Watching his video makes me want to kick myself in the nuts.

6. Nov 9, 2009 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like the accompanying video, "Origin of Stupidity." :biggrin: I agree with the suggestion made at the end of that video. If you see someone distributing these copies with the nonsense introduction, take as many as you can. Cut out the introduction and use it to kindle your fire this winter, and you have a free copy of the The Origin of Species.

7. Nov 9, 2009 #6

DavidSnider

Gold Member

:frown:

8. Nov 9, 2009 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's only a plurality technically

9. Nov 9, 2009 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My point was that normal people that consider themselves Christians would never consider going to such insane lengths to impose their beliefs on others. It would be interesting, however, to see what the approval rate of this action is among people that consider thenmselves Christian. I am hoping that it would be low.

10. Nov 9, 2009 #9

DavidSnider

Gold Member

That's kind of strange considering what most Christians believe. "I think you're going to burn in hell for all eternity and are wasting a second chance at life, but, oh well, to each his own."

I have to give fundamentalists credit for this: They act as if they actually believe it's true.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  11. Nov 9, 2009 #10
    Ah man after this guy made the assumption that atheism is brainwashed kids who don't know the alternatives I had to stop the video. I honestly hate these type of people.

I am myself an atheist and assuming most other atheists are like myself then it is very fair to say that atheist know MORE about the alternatives than any christian. I've read so many religious scriptures it's mind boggling. Yet when I go to my girlfriends church they can't even name more than 3-4 other religions of the world let alone know what their values are.

In fact a lot of them don't even know what christianity means or what the bible says. I sometimes used to go to my girlfriends bible studies to teach them. I wouldn't tell them if it was right or wrong I would just lay out the biblical stories we read and tell them the morals and meaning behind each one. (From a christian perspective.)

I think it's clear beyond any sort of doubt who is brainwashed into their beliefs.

/rant

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2009
  12. Nov 9, 2009 #11
    Now all the Christian women will know how to get atheists to go to church. :biggrin:

13. Nov 9, 2009 #12
    There's nothing like using the Hitler card.

14. Nov 9, 2009 #13

DavidSnider

Gold Member

You know who else liked to use the Hitler card?

That's right.

Hitler.

15. Nov 10, 2009 #14
    I've met very few christians who actually believe this. Most of the ones I have met only vaguely refer to themselves as christian since they seem to feel the need to have a religion even though they do not really practice it.

I have met several atheists that did not really have any idea what they were talking about. On another forum I go to I regularly am pointing out poor logic and outright misinformation used in anti-theist arguments. Its really sad but there truly are several 'atheists' out there that make us nontheists look pretty ignorant.

I had one trick me once. *****.

16. Nov 10, 2009 #15
    I would assume they aren't what he speaks of in the video though, the 19-25 age group. Most of the ignorant atheists I've met are like my dad. Don't know anything of what they are talking about but run their mouths whenever something religious pops up.

The majority of people in the age group of 19-25 I've met are nothing like this type of atheist. (Being in the lower age group of this section and having many friends all through-out this group that are atheist). It would be pretty presumptuous of me to claim that everyone acts this way but the majority of people I've talked to are not 'brainwashed atheist'.

17. Nov 10, 2009 #16
    I am talking primarily about younger people. They strike me as young people having been raised in a christian home or in a highly religious community who are now rebelling and lashing out at the religious. They tend to look for the most insulting ways to argue against religion and what seems rather telling is that they seem to base all or most of their arguments against the existence of god on christian doctrine.

If most of your peers are in college then they are likely more thoughtful. I know that most of my friends are generally more thoughtful too. There are many of those young college students though who seem to have only just discovered logic in their philosophy course.

18. Nov 10, 2009 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You'll probably find a large number of people who believe in Global Warming, yet aren't supporters or act like eco-terrorist groups like ELF or whatever that one half way known group is called.

Also, I know approximately 0 Christians who believe people will burn in hell for something silly like believing evolution or having sex before marriage or the typical stupidity people say about Christians.

0/2 there.

19. Nov 11, 2009 #18
    /sigh

Mike have you been listening to boner's advice.... AGAIN??:rolleyes:

Interesting to note that in a 2006 Larry King growing pains reunion show, Kirk claimed that he wasn't in fact, religious, but then went on to mention all of these christian shows he'd been workin on.

I know he doesn't have a career to speak of anymore, but you'd think he would be more careful about his image Apparently image is no longer an issue. Too sad.. I loved that show.

20. Nov 11, 2009 #19

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's called "Missionary Dating" (or sometimes "flirt to convert") and it's rather controversial in the various Christian communities.

21. Nov 11, 2009 #20
    There are lots of morons on all sides of the God argument, just like any other.

I've met plenty in my time, two just the other day. One was reasonably jovial about it while the other the was straight fire and brimstone. Granted, I live in Kansas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook