1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kittel chapter 7

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] kittel chapter 7

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question relates to Kittel's solid-state physics book. I have edition 8.

I just do not understand how the first Brillioun zone relates to energy gaps. For example, in Figure 2, I do not understand the shape of the curve in Figure 2. I do understand what is going on in Figure 3, but it seems to me like that is a completely different way of explaining energy gaps.

In the caption below figure 2, what exactly does it that the "energy gap E_g is associated with the first Bragg reflection at ... " ? I thought Bragg reflection had to do with light getting diffracted when you send a beam of it into the crystal (e.g. x-ray diffraction). I have absolutely no idea why Bragg reflection is is being talked about here!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Bragg reflection can be done with ANY wave. So anything that have a k-vector can be bragg reflected.

remember that the section about light diffraction in ch 2, nothing was said what the wave was composed of.

And this is why you are lead to impose the standing waves, and fig 3.. as a helped you with earlier this week.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?