1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kittel chapter 7

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] kittel chapter 7

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question refers to Kittel's solid-state physics book. I have edition 8.

In this chapter, there is a section called the "Empty Lattice Approximation". Can someone explain what the title of that chapter means i.e. in what sense is that lattice empty, where is that used, why is that approximation necessary?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

I don't have Kittel in front of me, but I think he just means to treat empty space as a periodic potential (which it is...) with whatever period you want (say, 'a'). One can break up the free particle energy spectrum and shift it along reciprocal "lattice" vectors ((2 Pi)/a, or whatever) and get something that looks like a band structure for the free particle.

4. Mar 25, 2008 #3
    What is the difference between the empty lattice approximation and the free electron fermi gas?

5. Mar 26, 2008 #4
    anyone?

6. Mar 26, 2008 #5
    Help!

7. Mar 27, 2008 #6

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

in the empty lattice approximation you pretend there is still a lattice so you get bands--bands determined by shifting the free electron dispersion through a reciprocal lattice vector--and you fill up the bands till you get the number of electrons you want.

in the free electron gas there is no lattice and you just fill up the fermi sphere till you get the number of electrons you want.

8. Mar 27, 2008 #7
    So the empty lattice approximation IS the reduced zone scheme, correct? I guess, I just don't see at all how that represents the band structure because then the dispersion relation is continuous at the BZ boundary in the empty lattice approximation That is, it just bounces back and forth between the boundaries. I thought that the point of an energy band was that it the dispersion relation WAS NOT CONTINUOUS. What I am saying is that there are no energy gaps in the empty lattice approximation and isn't that what we are interested in?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  9. Mar 27, 2008 #8

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

I don't know what *we* are interested in. But, yes, in the empty lattice there are no gaps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?