Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Kittel problem 7.1

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] kittel problem 7.1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question relates to Kittel's solid-state physics book. I have the 8th edition.

In this question, he says:

"Show for a simple square lattice (two dimensions) that the kinetic energy of a free electron at a corner of the first (I assume Brillioun is missing) zone is higher than that of an electron at the midpoint of a side face of the zone by a factor of 2."

But I thought you only discussed Brillioun zones in relation to k-space, not real space? It makes absolutely no sense to me to say that an electron is at a location in the first Brillioun.

Should this question really be:

"Show for a simple square lattice (two dimensions) that the kinetic energy of a free electron whose k-vector is at the corner of the first (I assume Brillioun is missing) zone is higher than that of an electron whose k-vector is at the midpoint of a side face of the zone by a factor of 2."

?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes the question is to be understood that way :-)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook