1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kittel's solid-state physics book

1. Feb 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Does anyone have Kittel's solid-state physics book? Furthermore, does anyone actually understand anything inside of it? If so, I have tons of questions about it that I would like to discuss/have answered?

EDIT: I have the 8th edition. But other editions are probably similar.
    EDIT: Please respond even if you do. That book is really killing me and my professor is no help at all.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2
    Kittel is notorious to be hard... like jackson in E&M the first chapter in that one already threw me off when trying to use it as a reference recommended by my prof.... will string theorists ever learn the fact that there are mortals around them...

You might want to try: http://www.bookbyte.com/product.aspx?isbn=0030839939 i heard it is a bit better but more advanced
  4. Feb 18, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok we have a certain forum for textbooks discussions..

Kittel is a bit tricky in the first 2chapters, then you get used to it. You might want to supplement it by lecture notes that you can find on the internet.

But Solid state is a hard subject, in our class only 30% passed the exam and only 10% passed the re-exam.. And many got highest grade, so either you have or not :/

Also our professor was exelent, and we got many good lecture notes and we had great problem solving sessions.
  5. Feb 18, 2008 #4
    Where is the forum for textbook discussions?

Are you saying that you have the book and are willing to help me with specific questions?
  6. Feb 18, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Academic & Career Guidance
    Sub-Forums: Science Book Reviews

I have the book, and I understand quite much of it. But I am not an expert on Solid State just because I got full score on the exam :P And I also have limted of time, so I rather just help people with whats my speciality: Subatomic physics and QM.

And there are tons of tutorials about Solid state on the internet if u just google, they helped me ALOT :)
  7. Feb 19, 2008 #6
    Someday soon you'll learn about my user name!

If it's the textbook I think it is, then you should know you need a fairly decent understanding of basic quantum mechanics right off the bat. That's the key thing, otherwise it's like trying to read a textbook on differential equations when you don't know calculus

I found that actually seeing the types of results and things from solid state reinforced my understanding of quantum mechanics

However I just noticed you're apparently in a class and I think I've seen you asking QM questions before so you've had that class. I like the book because it doesn't beat around the bush and assumes you're pretty smart, and I also hate it for that. Just like how I like Wangsness' EM book more than Griffiths...and hate it. There are lots of useful internet resources, and lots of solid state textbooks, go hit up a half priced books and see if you can find an old used one.

If you have a professor doing solid state research(and every university usually has several!)this would be an EXCELLENT opportunity to make a good impression, maybe get yourself a spot helping them, and they'll have all kinds of resources to help you. In my experience professors love students interested in their work(well obviously)
  8. Feb 19, 2008 #7
    I am glad that someone else said they didn't like Griffith's EM either. I couldn't stand that freakin book.... We used Griffiths for both EM and QM :yuck:

Krauss for E&M was an excellent supplemental text....(my father suggested it during the last month of my E&M course)...

I agree that the internet has an enormous amount of information to help in aiding through coursework...and of course....physics forums.....
  9. Feb 19, 2008 #8
    That was yesterday's lecture!
  10. Feb 19, 2008 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have Kittel 7th Edition. I quite like it but it does take some thinking about. A good book that is slightly less advanced than Kittel and serves as a good introduction is R. Turton's 'The Physics of Solids'.
  11. Mar 7, 2008 #10
    relation between cp and cy and for solid state
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?