Kitty stool

~christina~

Gold Member
Mucous in his stool could evidence an intestinal issue. My cat has experienced various intestinal inflammation issues and mucous in her stool is one of the symptoms/results/problems. As other people here have recommended to you, christina, I'd suggest taking the mucous sample to your vet when it's fresh. It could be forewarning you of a much larger issue.
O.O;; Oh I'll enjoy this task. But I'm hoping that it's just a parasite and nothing further. What color was this mucous may I ask?(my kitty's was sandy colored)
My kitty eats wet food exclusively and never, ever drinks water. Not at all.
well if your kitty eats wet food I don't think that it would need to drink water but my cat eats dry food.
She has also always and forever had the worst breath on the planet. I swear; it smells like raw sewage. When she's sitting on my lap and yawns, it wafts up to me and, honest to heaven, horrible doesn't begin to describe it. And she doesn't have dental issues.
well faint* would probably do well for the breath of my cat. Are you sure that your cat has no dental issues? did you look?
I'd like to suggest being careful with your cat's teeth, christina. You wouldn't want to accidentally break or crack one while trying to pry tartar off by yourself.
Eh...okay.:uhh: (never knew it would break his teeth)

The mucous has been different colours depending on what else was mixed with it. One time she had a bacteria overgrowth in her intestines, another, there was an issue with a stomach parasite, and a different time it was just because. So, it was more brownish depending on how much feces was mixed with it. With the bacterial overgrowth, it was greenish. Sometimes it's reached a point where her system is entirely devoid of food matter and the mucous was clear. So, yeah, I don't know what to say on that one.

Right about the water. When my cat used to eat dry food, she also drank water. Once I began her diet of solely wet food, she simply stopped drinking water. Which I think is very weird, even though I know she doesn't need any more water than what she's already getting from her food, and her body functions properly. I remark on it because it strikes me as odd that my cat drinks no water at all. A trick the vet recommended to me, though, with wet food or dry, if you want your cat to consume more water, then just mix some with their food. I don't know if yours needs more water or not, christina. Mine appears to be self-regulating on that question.

Yep, I'm positive my cat doesn't have dental issues. She visits her vet quite regularly, more than cats generally do, because of all of the problems she's had. We monitor all things Bean often. :biggrin:

Last edited:

~christina~

Gold Member
The mucous has been different colours depending on what else was mixed with it. One time she had a bacteria overgrowth in her intestines, another, there was an issue with a stomach parasite, and a different time it was just because. So, it was more brownish depending on how much feces was mixed with it. With the bacterial overgrowth, it was greenish. Sometimes it's reached a point where her system is entirely devoid of food matter and the mucous was clear. So, yeah, I don't know what to say on that one.
How interesting. At least kitty's mucous is not green. My cat's mucous only comes with stool.
Right about the water. When my cat used to eat dry food, she also drank water. Once I began her diet of solely wet food, she simply stopped drinking water. Which I think is very weird, even though I know she doesn't need any more water than what she's already getting from her food, and her body functions properly. I remark on it because it strikes me as odd that my cat drinks no water at all. A trick the vet recommended to me, though, with wet food or dry, if you want your cat to consume more water, then just mix some with their food. I don't know if yours needs more water or not, christina. Mine appears to be self-regulating on that question.
Maybe if cat's drink very little water, the little water that they get from the food is sufficient.
Yep, I'm positive my cat doesn't have dental issues. She visits her vet quite regularly, more than cats generally do, because of all of the problems she's had. We monitor all things Bean often. :biggrin:
So Bean is your cat's name?

Borek

Mentor
Bad smell can be a sign of gum problems or stone on the teeth (no idea how it is called in English). In both cases you should consult your vet.

As far as I know, cats don't drink much water in general, at least that's what I read in some book and that's what my observations were. Our cats drank water only occasionally, but they were feed wet canned food.