1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Kkt theorem (minimization)

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    what does it mean to write out the kkt conditions and find x* for the following problem:

minimize [tex]f(x) = \sum x_i[/tex] subject to [tex]\prod x_i = 1[/tex] and [tex]x_i \geq 0[/tex] for 1<= i <= n. the bounds on the sum and product are from i = 1 to n.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Well, what is the "kkt" (Karush–Kuhn–Tucker) theorem?

4. Dec 13, 2009 #3
    basically the kkt conditions need to be satisfied if the solution is optimal. you have the two constraints as your functions (say g and h) -- both these and the objective function need to be stationary, dual and primal feasible, and satisfy complementary slackness.

anyway, so i think there are two cases for the product to be equal to one: one is when all the x_i are equal to 1 and the other is when the product of the x_i's somehow approaches 1. in the first case, the sum would just give n since all the x_i's equal 1, and the second case...well i'm not so sure.

am i thinking about this problem in the right way?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook