Solving the Massless Klein Gordon Equation

In summary, the massless Klein-Gordon equation can be solved using a superposition of plane waves in Fourier space. The weighting function \overline{\phi}(p) is arbitrary, as any linear combination of plane waves satisfies the equation. However, there is a mass-shell constraint on the argument p, which restricts the values of p that \overline{\phi}(p) can take on. This constraint does not affect the functional form of \overline{\phi}(p), but it does come into play when considering localized wavepackets in position space.
bartadam
I am being really thick here

I have this wave equation, the massless klien gordon equation

[tex]\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}\phi(x)=0[/tex]

where the summation over [tex]\mu[/tex] is over 0,1,2,3

the general solution is a superposition of plane waves yes? i.e

[tex]\phi(x)=\int d^4 p \overline{\phi}(p)exp(i p_{\mu}x^{\mu})[/tex]

where [tex]\overline{\phi}[/tex] is the weighting function.

When you susbsitute this back into the klein gordon equation you get down two factors of p, i.e

[tex]p_{\mu}p^{\mu}[/tex] which equals zero. (mass shell constraint), thus satisfying the equation of motion.

My question is, is [tex]\overline{\phi}(p)[/tex] arbitrary? I don't really understand why this is so, let alone believe it.

Hope peeps understand the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
The superpostion equation you wrote is simply the Fourier transform of [tex] \phi (x)[/tex].

[tex] \phi (p)[/tex] are not arbitrary as [tex] \phi (p) = FT^{-1}[\phi (x)][/tex]

Have I misunderstood your question?

Likes Diracobama2181
yeah I understand that.

I'm being really thick here.

I want the general solution [tex]\phi(x)[/tex] to the equation, ie as a superposition of plane wave solutions, but in Fourier space.

Ultimately I want to know what [tex]\overline{\phi}(p)[/tex] is.

What I mean is, if [tex]\overline{\phi}(p)[/tex] is one weighting function whose Fourier transform solves the klein gordon equation and [tex]\overline{\psi}(p)[/tex] is another different weighting function is the Fourier transform of [tex]\overline{\psi}[/tex] also a solution.

Well, any [tex]\phi(p)[/tex] will make [tex]\phi(x)[/tex] a solution. These are merely coefficients in your Fourier expansion. However, once you write the Hamiltonian in terms of [tex]\phi(p)[/tex] and [tex]\pi(p)[/tex], you will find that it simplifies greatly (decoupled harmonic oscillators, one for each p), and quantization is the next step.

Well, any [tex]\phi(p)[\tex] will make [tex]\phi(x)[\tex]a solution

great as long as you're sure about that. That's what I hoped.

I have guessed some expression between [tex]\phi(p)[\tex] and a whole load of other stuff and I want to test my conjecture on the computer. So, presumably I can just invent some suitable function for [tex]\phi(p)[\tex] stick it into a c-program and check it works.

bartadam said:
yeah I understand that.

I'm being really thick here.

I want the general solution [tex]\phi(x)[/tex] to the equation, ie as a superposition of plane wave solutions, but in Fourier space.

Ultimately I want to know what [tex]\overline{\phi}(p)[/tex] is.

As others said, phi(p) is arbitrary. The way to see this is the following: plane waves (with the condition on p^2) are solutions of the equation and the equation is linear, therefore arbitrary linear combinations of plane waves will satisfy the equation. Therefore phi(p) is arbitrary.

bartadam said:
[...]
When you susbsitute this back into the klein gordon equation you get down two factors of p, i.e
[itex]p_{\mu}p^{\mu}[/itex] which equals zero. (mass shell constraint), thus satisfying the equation of motion. [...] is [itex]\overline{\phi}(p)[/itex] arbitrary? [...]
Adding my $0.02 to what others have already said, the [itex]\overline{\phi}(p)[/itex] is not
entirely "arbitrary", because you have imposed the mass-shell constraint [itex]p_{\mu}p^{\mu}=0[/itex].
Think of that as a "constraint hypersurface" in 4D momentum space.

I.e., [itex]\overline{\phi}(p)[/itex] is undefined for values of p which are not on
the constraint hypersurface.

Last edited:
strangerep said:
Adding my $0.02 to what others have already said, the [itex]\overline{\phi}(p)[/itex] is not
entirely "arbitrary", because you have imposed the mass-shell constraint [itex]p_{\mu}p^{\mu}=0[/itex].
Think of that as a "constraint hypersurface" in 4D momentum space.

I.e., [itex]\overline{\phi}(p)[/itex] is undefined for values of p which are not on
the constraint hypersurface.

True but this is not a condition on the functional form [itex]\overline{\phi}(p)[/itex], it's a restriction on the argument p. I mean, as long as p is a valid p, any function phi(p) is valid, right?

A different consideration arises if we consider localized wavepackets phi(x). Then there must be a condition on phi(p).

nrqed said:
True but this is not a condition on the functional form [itex]\overline{\phi}(p)[/itex], it's a restriction on the argument p.
I mean, as long as p is a valid p, any function phi(p) is valid, right?

A different consideration arises if we consider localized wavepackets phi(x).
Then there must be a condition on phi(p).

Yes and yes.

1. What is the Massless Klein Gordon Equation?

The Massless Klein Gordon Equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of a massless spinless particle. It combines the principles of special relativity and quantum mechanics to represent the dynamics of a massless particle.

2. What is the significance of solving the Massless Klein Gordon Equation?

Solving the Massless Klein Gordon Equation allows us to understand the behavior and properties of massless particles, such as photons. This is important in fields such as quantum field theory and particle physics.

3. How is the Massless Klein Gordon Equation solved?

The Massless Klein Gordon Equation can be solved using various methods, including separation of variables, Fourier transform, and numerical methods. The specific approach depends on the boundary conditions and initial conditions of the problem.

4. What are some applications of the Massless Klein Gordon Equation?

The Massless Klein Gordon Equation has various applications in physics, including modeling of electromagnetic fields, quantum field theory, and particle physics. It is also used in engineering fields such as signal processing and communications.

5. Are there any limitations to the Massless Klein Gordon Equation?

Yes, the Massless Klein Gordon Equation has some limitations. It does not take into account the effects of gravity and is only applicable to massless particles. It also does not account for interactions between particles, which can be addressed by using other equations in conjunction with the Massless Klein Gordon Equation.