Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Klein Gordon Hamiltonian

1. Jun 4, 2007 #1
    Suppose that we take the Klein-Gordon Hamiltonian to be of the form

[tex]H = \int d^3x \, \mathcal{H}(x) = \frac{1}{2}\int d^3x\, (\pi^2(x) + (\nabla\phi(x))^2- m^2\phi^2(x))[/tex]

If we want to compute, say, the evolution equation for [itex]\phi(x)[/itex] we use the Poisson bracket:

[tex]\dot{\phi}(x) = \{\phi(x),H\} = \int d^3x'\,\{\phi(x),\mathcal{H}(x')\}[/tex]

So, if we recall that the definition of the Poisson bracket for some functionals [itex]F[\phi,\pi;x)[/itex], [itex]G[\phi,\pi;x)[/itex] is

[tex]\{F,G\} \equiv \int d^3y\,\left( \frac{\delta F}{\delta \phi(y)}\frac{\delta G}{\delta\pi(y)} - \frac{\delta F}{\delta\pi(y)}\frac{\delta G}{\delta\phi(y)}\right)[/tex]

we then have

[tex]\dot{\phi}(x) = \int d^3x'\, \int d^3y \frac{\delta\phi(x)}{\delta\phi(y)}\frac{\delta\mathcal{H}(x')}{\delta\pi(y)}
    = \int d^3x' \int d^3y\, \delta^{(3)}(x-y)\pi(x')\delta^{(3)}(x'-y)[/tex]
    [tex]=\int d^3x'\,\pi(x')\int d^3y\delta^{(3)}(x-y)\delta^{(3)}(x'-y)[/tex]

The question I have is whether or not I can integrate the dirac distributions as follows:

[tex]\int d^3x'\,\pi(x')\int d^3y\delta^{(3)}(x-y)\delta^{(3)}(x'-y)
    = \int d^3x'\,\pi(x')\delta^{(3)}(x-x')[/tex]

so as to give me [itex]\dot{\phi}(x) = \pi(x)[/itex]? Have I got this right?
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2007 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It might be a bit better to do the [itex]x'[/itex] integration first. Then, you don't have to use a delta function to evaluate a delta. In the standard theory of distributions, products of distributions aren't defined.
  4. Jun 4, 2007 #3
    There Are no problems with the two deltas product cause they are evaluated at different points. (x-y) and (x'-y). The theory of distributions see Schwarz (a fields medal) says that the problem is doing this inner product (d(x)*d(x),f(x)) where d stand for the delta compact support distributions. and these integral is obviously f(0)*infinite or some not well defined value.
    You got it right shoeron: the time derivative of field (not only scalars field) is its conjugate momentum. It is usefull to remebere in fields theory
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?