Why does the Klein-Gordon propagator have a negative i in the exponential?

In summary, the conversation discusses equations and terms from the Peskin and Schroeder's book, specifically focusing on the second term in equation 2.53 and the presence of a negative i in the exponential. The speaker explains that this term is correct and the handwritten "correction" is wrong, and that for space-like separations, the commutator function vanishes as expected due to the demand of microcausality. They also mention that x^0>y^0 is assumed and that a Lorentz transformation can take (x-y) to -(x-y).
guillefix
Hello, I'm looking at the following computation from the Peskin and Schroeder's book:

See file attached

In the second page, the second term that's being integrated, I don't understand why it has a negative i in the exponential, that'll keep the energy term the same, but will swap the sign of the spatial terms, wouldn't it?

Thank you beforehand

Attachments

• Qft.jpg
    Qft.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 575
Physics news on Phys.org
Below equation 2.53, they say when x-y is spacelike, a Lorentz transformation can take (x-y) to -(x-y).

First of all, it's important to keep in mind that [itex]x^0>y^0[/itex] is assumed, because otherwise the equation would be wrong, because (2.54) with the contour given is the retarded propagator, i.e.,
[tex]\mathrm{i} G_{\text{ret}}(x,y)=\Theta(x^0-y^0) \langle 0 |[\phi(x),\phi(y)]|0 \rangle.[/tex]

Further, the minus sign in the second term of (2.54) is correct, and the handwritten "correction" wrong. You get this from closing the contour in the lower complex [itex]p^0[/itex] half-plane. You must close the contour there in order to make this additional part go away when carrying it to infinity, and that's why you get the commutator with this contour only if [itex]x^0>y^0[/itex]. You come back to the original expression you started with by substituting [itex]\vec{p}'=-\vec{p}[/itex] in this second term.

For space-like separations you get 0 as it must be, because for space-like separations of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] you can find a frame of reference, where [itex]x^0=y^0[/itex] and there according to the canonical equal-time commutation relations the fields commute. Since the commutator function is a scalar function, it vanishes thus for all space-like separated arguments. This should be so because of the demand of microcausality for local observables.

Likes 1 person

What is the Klein-Gordon propagator?

The Klein-Gordon propagator is a mathematical function used in quantum field theory to describe the probability amplitude of a particle to travel from one point in spacetime to another. It is derived from the Klein-Gordon equation, which is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of spinless particles.

How is the Klein-Gordon propagator defined?

The Klein-Gordon propagator is defined as the Green's function of the Klein-Gordon equation, which can be written as a differential operator acting on the propagator. In simpler terms, it is a solution to the Klein-Gordon equation that takes into account the initial and final conditions of the particle.

What are the properties of the Klein-Gordon propagator?

The Klein-Gordon propagator has several important properties, including translation invariance, Lorentz invariance, and causality. It also satisfies the Feynman boundary conditions and can be used to calculate scattering amplitudes in quantum field theory.

What is the physical interpretation of the Klein-Gordon propagator?

The Klein-Gordon propagator can be interpreted as the probability amplitude for a particle to propagate between two points in spacetime. It takes into account both the particle's energy and momentum, and can be used to calculate the probability of various particle interactions.

How is the Klein-Gordon propagator used in particle physics?

The Klein-Gordon propagator is an important tool in particle physics, as it allows scientists to calculate scattering amplitudes and other important quantities related to particle interactions. It is also used in the study of quantum field theory, relativity, and other areas of theoretical physics.