1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Klein-Gordon signal propagation

1. Oct 19, 2007 #1
    Given Klein-Gordon equation for a particle of mass m in covariant notation
    [tex] \left[ \partial_{\mu} \partial^{\mu} + \frac{m_0^2 c^2}{\hbar^2} \right] \phi = 0[/tex]
    show that the solution preserves causality, i.e. signals have a velocity not higher than c.

HINT: You can build up a quantity [tex] j^{\mu} = j^{\mu} \left( \phi \right)[/tex] which satisfy a continuity equation [tex]\partial_{\mu} j^{\mu} = 0[/tex]. Then apply the Gauss Theorem to the lower layer of a light cone [tex]x_{\mu} x^{\mu} = 0[/tex] of finite height [tex]\overline{x^0}[/tex] delimited by two 3-sphere of radium R, lower, and [tex]R - \overline{x^0}[/tex], upper, and show that the space integral of [tex] j^0[/tex] can only decrease during the evolution.

I have built up a 4-vector that behaves like that but I can't realize how this justify the fact that Klein-Gordon is a causal theory.

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?