1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kleppner Kolenkow 2.34 (mass whirling around a string)

1. Dec 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass m whirls around on a string which passes through a ring. Neglect gravity. Initially, the mass is distance ##r_0## from the center and is revolving at angular velocity ##\omega_0##. The string is pulled with constant velocity ##V## starting at ##t=0## so that the radial distance to the mass decreases. Find ##\omega(t)## and string tension applied to the mass.

Hint: ##Vt = \frac{r_0}{2}## implies ##\omega = 4\omega_0##

2. Relevant equations
    Newton equations of movment in tangential and radial directions.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Firstly, because of the junction between the mass and the string, I find that the radial speed of the mass is ##\dot{r}(t) = -V##. Therefore, the radial distance should be [itex] r(t) = r_0 - Vt [/itex] for ## 0\le t \le \frac{r_0}{V}##, and 0 for any later time.
    Then, using Newton's second law in tangential direction, I get that [itex] a_{\theta}=0 [/itex] at any time, and therefore
    [itex] \frac{\dot{\omega}}{\omega} = \frac{2V}{r_0-Vt} [/itex].
    This can be rewritten
    [itex] \frac{d}{dt}(ln(\omega) ) = -2 \frac{d}{dt}(ln(r_0-Vt)) [/itex] ,
    which gives
    [itex] \omega(t) = \omega_0 {(\frac{r_0}{r_0-Vt})}^2 [/itex].
    Finally, computing this result into the equation of movement for radial direction gives me that the tension in the string is :
    [itex] T(t) = \frac{m\omega_0^2r_0^4}{{(r_0-Vt)}^3} [/itex]

4. Question
    Even though it works for the hint, there is something very wrong with my proof because angular velocity and string tension are unbounded as ## r(t) \rightarrow 0 ##. It doesn't make sense to me. Thanks for taking the time.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What's your objection to your result beyond "not making sense?"

4. Dec 2, 2014 #3
    Hi, thanks for replying.
    It seems unlikely to me that angular speed and string tension tend to infinity as ##r(t) \rightarrow 0##. That's why I think I'm wrong, very wrong :-)

5. Dec 2, 2014 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Angular momentum is conserved --- if your "ice skater" is not just anorexic but achieved the physique of a stick figure, and pulls stick arms into the point that they're parallel and co-located with the stick body, r in I = mr2, the angular moment of inertia, goes to zero, I goes to zero, and angular momentum = I x omega pretty much demands an infinite rotational speed.

6. Dec 2, 2014 #5
    I don't know what is momentum yet, I'm a beginner in physics

7. Dec 2, 2014 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Have you had to watch the Olympic figure skating to keep other people in the house happy enough to let you watch the hockey?

8. Dec 2, 2014 #7
    Huh, yes maybe. I've not been watching TV lately. What do you mean?

9. Dec 2, 2014 #8

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

When ice skaters go into a spin for a big finish, they pull their arms in along their rotational axis, and the spin rate increases quite dramatically. Conservation of angular momentum. If you've got a young enough physics prof/instructor, he/she'll stand on a rotating turntable and do the same thing as a demonstration.

10. Dec 2, 2014 #9
    By dramatically, you mean infinitly ?

11. Dec 2, 2014 #10

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

They never get to the zero radius for their angular moments of inertia, so, "no."

12. Dec 2, 2014 #11
    So what you say is that it'll be clear when I'll study angular momentum ? The resulat seems correct to you then ?

13. Dec 2, 2014 #12

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It looks great --- ya dun good.

14. Dec 2, 2014 #13
    Thank you for your explanations and for giving some of your time.
    Geoffrey

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted