Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Knew my share of quantum phyisics

1. Sep 20, 2004 #1
    ok, so i used to think i new my share of quantum phyisics, but apparently i dont, soooooo, id like to know if anyone knew a good place to start
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2004 #2
    What do you "think you knew"? Where are you at?
  4. Sep 20, 2004 #3
    basically as newbie as you can get, while still knowing that it exists.
  5. Sep 20, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are plenty of books that you can read. One of the best (and also thinnest, and least expensive) is "QED: The strange theory of light and matter", by Richard Feynman.

There are several other books explain QM in a way that's supposed to be easy to understand, for example "The emperor's new mind", by Roger Penrose, and "The elegant universe", by Brian Greene.
  6. Sep 20, 2004 #5

there r a lot of good book.for an amature,the best is lectures on physics by Feynman.or in lill,advanced level,Mrezbeckers book :wink:
  7. Sep 20, 2004 #6
    There are basically 2 kinds of books :

Textbooks, which you can read when you know the math (which ones are best for you depend on where you are in math, and physics).

Readable books (with little or no math), which you can find at the better, regular bookstores. These are good, but be careful, they can be be misleading, i.e. parallel universes, time travel, multi-dimensions etc. can be wrongly interpreted when the math is absent.
  8. Sep 20, 2004 #7
    yeah, ive read other books by feynman.
    and yeah. ur right. math books are confusing.
    i wanna learn calculus, but i dont know where to start
  9. Sep 20, 2004 #8
    Woah, I didn't say math books were necessarily confusing, they are not when you know the math they use. Swokowski is how you really learn calculus.
  10. Sep 21, 2004 #9
    Are you currently in school? If so, many, many arrangements can be made by the faculty to "zoom you through", including, at many schools, independent study math courses to give you the pre-calc background.

If you are not in school, or if you'd rather do it on your own, I could suggest my own approach to learning new subjects: Start with a text, any text, and go until you get stuck. Then find a new text, rehash the stuff you've already done, and see if the new text explains it better. Word of warning: Calculus requires practice, which means doing problems. I hate it, but I regularly (every year or two) go back and review my calc, linear algebra, ODE, Analytic Geometry, Statistics, etc. and actually do some problems and take notes of things I have forgotten.

And if you want help let me know.
  11. Sep 21, 2004 #10
    thanks, ill try the Swokowski method, if thats still too confusing, then ill find some sort of independent study
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?