Should gender diversity be a factor in knitting?

• Thread starter jeffery_winkle
  • Start date
In summary, many people think that there is discrimination against women in the field of physics, and that it is a cultural difference.
jeffery_winkle
to answer your knitting question is ridiculous - of course someone whom knits can be of any gender. I know some extremely strong outdoors people whom knit of both genders. People whom design cloths and create them are of all sexes.

That's precisely the point! Nobody would suggest that men are less capable of knitting than women, obviously the majority of people who knit are women, and nobody thinks that people who knit should be 50% women, 50% men. Everyone acknowledges it is a cultural difference, and nobody thinks there is anything wrong with that. Nobody says we should try to increase the percentage of knitters who are men. Nobody refers to the percentage of knitters who are men with the phrase "disappointingly low".

Nobody would suggest that women are less capable of physics than men, but the obviously the majority of physicists are men, and apparently some people think physicists should be 50% women, 50% men. Everyone acknowledges it is a cultural difference, so why would anyone think there is anything wrong with that?

Physics news on Phys.org
jeffery_winkle said:
Nobody would suggest that women are less capable of physics than men,

Yes they most certainly do.
I have seen it first hand from tenured professors at my University (where the dean of the school of science and engineering is female, so you might expect more forward thinking academic staff..).

There are threads on PF with examples, here's one from just yesterday:

As a female, am I inherently bad at "top tier" maths/physics?

I'm sure research has been done in this area, there's many 'women in STEM' foundations working in the field.

I'd think you'd have to be blind to get through a STEM degree without noticing at least some, whether overt or subtle, discrimination against women.

1. What is gender diversity in the context of knitting?

Gender diversity in knitting refers to the inclusion and representation of people of all genders in the knitting community. It recognizes that knitting is not limited to one gender and that all individuals should feel welcome and accepted in the knitting world.

2. Why should gender diversity be considered in knitting?

Gender diversity should be considered in knitting because it promotes inclusivity and diversity within the community. It also allows for the sharing of different perspectives, techniques, and experiences, leading to a more vibrant and enriched knitting culture.

3. How can gender diversity be implemented in knitting?

Gender diversity can be implemented in knitting by actively promoting and supporting knitters of all genders, creating inclusive spaces and events, and featuring diverse representation in marketing and media. It is also essential to challenge and break down gender stereotypes and traditional gender roles within the knitting community.

4. Is gender diversity a recent concern in the knitting world?

No, gender diversity has been a topic of discussion in the knitting community for many years. However, it has gained more attention and recognition in recent years, as more people advocate for inclusivity and representation in all aspects of life, including hobbies and interests.

5. Are there any benefits to promoting gender diversity in knitting?

Yes, promoting gender diversity in knitting can lead to a more welcoming and inclusive community, increased creativity and innovation, and the breaking down of gender stereotypes. It can also create a sense of belonging for individuals who may have previously felt excluded from the knitting world.