Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

KNO3 needs a permit?

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    I'm creating a checklist for all the required materials I need to build a rocket. Everything was fine except the KNO3. They said that I need to have a permit to buy this chemical? Now what should I do. How can I fly a rocket with just a sugar on it. :(

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Nothing suprising - rocket fuels are classified as energetic materials, just like explosives. In both cases you need a lot of energy in short time, thus many of the substances used in both cases are identical - and they are considered dangerous. That's especially true in the case of strong oxidizers, like nitrates.

4. Oct 4, 2009 #3
    I watch some rockets flew in youtube and most of them are kids and teens.

So what should I do now? How about Zinc and Sulfur? Do I need a permit for that? Does it cost lesser because I it is much weaker that kno3.

5. Oct 4, 2009 #4

Astronuc

Because nitrates (KNO3, NH4NO3, . . .) and perchlorates are powerful oxidants used in the manufacture of explosives, as well as solid rocket fuel, they are controlled.

Why not just buy a rocket motor from a hobby store?

Zinc is a metal and sulfur is not an oxidant. One can buy sulfur for acidifying soil.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  6. Oct 4, 2009 #5
    No one sell rocket motor on our country though fireworks is legal on my country.

I'll try looking for a stump remover in ACE Hardware. But I'm pretty sure they don't have it but I'll try it.

7. Oct 4, 2009 #6

Borek

They react violently enough to be used in rocket engines, although the mixture has relatively low specific impulse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAeLgtJbJpc

8. Oct 4, 2009 #7
    Try a hardware store, look for "Stump Remover".

9. Oct 4, 2009 #8

Astronuc

Seems a slow reaction like deflagration or combustion, as opposed to detonation.

10. Oct 4, 2009 #9

ideasrule

Homework Helper

I once bought potassium nitrate as stump remover from a plant store to make gunpowder. Judging from the quality of the gunpowder, the KNO3 was quite high-quality; the gunpowder burned quickly enough to shoot a bullet out of a barrel at high speeds.

11. Oct 4, 2009 #10
    you've got me wondering now if i can still find it at the apothecary.

12. Oct 4, 2009 #11

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes but there is now a cooling off period for leeches

13. Oct 4, 2009 #12
    good idea. emo is just a phase for most.

14. Oct 5, 2009 #13
    Note that if you live in a country where such materials are highly controlled and you start purchasing alternatives to get around the requisite permits you could find yourself getting some attention from the authorities and possibly even in legal trouble. You may want to check your local laws and try to find some hobbyists in your area for advice on how to approach this.

15. Oct 5, 2009 #14

Astronuc

Ammonium nitrate, potassium nitrate and sodium nitrate are on the DHS list of "chemicals of interest". Basically, DHS wants to know who is buying nitrates and how much. Records are kept for some time.

16. Oct 6, 2009 #15
    Ok I guess I'll just use Zinc and Sulfur for my rocket. KNO3 is banned on my country and I don't want to be jailed for that.

I wish I can buy these two components on a store somewhere here.

By the way, what do you mean "relatively low specific impulse". Does the mixture of these component caught fire easily? I wish while hammering it down on a PVC and drilling it will not just explode and cut my cutie littie whole arm. O_O

17. Oct 6, 2009 #16

Borek

18. Oct 7, 2009 #17
    Now I understand. Thanks Borek.

Anyone here knows where can I buy zinc and sulfur? Is there any products for that like the KNO3 in stump remover, sodium chloride in weed killer and etc.

19. Oct 8, 2009 #18
    what country are you from? Maybe KNO3 is banned for a reason? Making rockets in war regions, for example, is probably not a good idea and I'm not sure people here should be giving you advice how to do it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook