1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

KNO3 Purity

1. Jul 16, 2006 #1
    I have bought a stump remover for KNO3 and it has the numbers 13-0-44, which i have heard is pretty good. I was just wondering, how pure is it? and also if i could remove those impurities. I have tried making BP with it and it didn't do much. lots of excess sulfur and charcoal was left over, so im thinking that its not so pure. Also, if a product has the same numbers as another one, are they exactly the same purity?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

For fertilizers, there is an NPK rating, which is the set of numbers "13-0-44" in the case of potassium nitrate (which is probably about 98% pure). It refers to relative amounts of N=nitrogen, P=phosphorus and K=potassium.

You seem to be interested in making explosives, and I assume BP is blasting powder.

One should be very careful because of the potential explosiveness.

Also, making explosives without a license could be illegal. Check your state and local ordinances.

I would discourage you from trying to make explosives.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?