Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Knotted flux tube in a plasma

  1. May 12, 2012 #1
    Suppose I have a plasma. Inside the plasma is a knotted flux tube in an electric field. Will it tend to move?

    Is this there a better forum for this question?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2012 #2
    Yea, probably one of the Physics forums instead of Astrophysics, maybe General Physics.
  4. May 13, 2012 #3
    Can you explain what type of flux you are talking about.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2012
  5. May 14, 2012 #4
    Magnetic flux. When EM fields go through a highly conductive medium the magnetic flux tends to concentrate in regions. These regions are tube shaped, so they are called flux tubes.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2012
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook