Know any good resources for general government operation/procedure?

In summary, the conversation discusses questions about how the government operates, including whether someone who will be 18 by the general election can vote in primary elections, the length of service for State District Attorneys and the process for replacing them if they leave office early, and the process for replacing a Senator who leaves office early. The speaker also requests a website with more information on government operations and rules for succession.
wasteofo2
I find myself asking lots and lots of questions about how the government operates, and I just can't seem to find it out. What I'm specifically looking for are the following:

- Whether or not I will be able to vote in any 2006 primaries (congress, governor, etc.) if I am 18 by the time of Nov. 2, but not 18 by the time of the primary elections.

- How long State District Attorneys serve for, and if they leave office early, how are their replacements determined?

- If a Senator leaves office early, how is his replacement determined?

These are just some questions that come to mind immediately. If you could answer these questions individually, that'd be great, but it'd be even better if you could share some site with lots of information on government operation, rules for succession etc.

Thanks alot,
Jacob

Physics news on Phys.org
http://vote.nyc.ny.us/register.jsp

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello Jacob,

Thank you for reaching out and asking for resources on general government operation and procedures. It can definitely be overwhelming trying to navigate the complexities of our government, but there are some great resources out there that can help answer your questions.

First, regarding your question about voting in the 2006 primaries, the rules for voter eligibility vary by state. Generally, if you will be 18 by the time of the general election in November, you will be eligible to vote in the primaries. However, it is always best to check with your state's election office for specific information and deadlines.

As for your other questions, I recommend checking out the website of the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL). They have a section specifically dedicated to state government structure and procedures, including information on the length of terms for district attorneys and the process for filling vacancies in office.

In terms of succession rules for senators, this is determined by each state's laws. The NCSL also has a section on state legislatures and elections that can provide more information on this topic.

Another great resource is the website of the National Association of Secretaries of State (NASS). They have a section on election and voting information that can provide more details on the rules and procedures for voting in primaries and filling vacancies in office.

I hope these resources are helpful to you in understanding government operations and procedures. It is always important to research and verify information from multiple sources, but these websites are a good place to start. Best of luck in your research and learning about our government.

1. What are some reliable websites for learning about general government operation and procedure?

Some reliable websites for learning about general government operation and procedure include:

• USA.gov
  • Government Accountability Office (GAO)
  • Library of Congress
  • National Association of State Budget Officers
  • National Conference of State Legislatures

2. Are there any government agencies or departments that specifically focus on government operations and procedures?

Yes, there are several government agencies and departments that specifically focus on government operations and procedures, such as:

• Government Accountability Office (GAO)
  • Office of Management and Budget (OMB)
  • National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
  • General Services Administration (GSA)
  • Department of Homeland Security (DHS)

3. Are there any online databases or tools that provide information on government operations and procedures?

Yes, there are several online databases and tools that provide information on government operations and procedures, including:

• Regulations.gov
  • Federal Register
  • GovInfo
  • USA.gov
  • Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)

4. Are there any reputable books or publications on government operations and procedures?

Yes, there are many reputable books and publications on government operations and procedures, such as:

• The Federalist Papers
  • The Constitution of the United States
  • The Government Manager's Guide to Contract Law
  • Understanding Government Contract Source Selection
  • The Federal Budget Process: A Description of the Federal and Congressional Budget Processes

5. Are there any educational courses or programs that focus on government operations and procedures?

Yes, there are several educational courses and programs that focus on government operations and procedures, including:

• Master of Public Administration (MPA)
  • Master of Public Policy (MPP)
  • Certificate in Government Contracting
  • Certificate in Public Sector Financial Management
  • Introduction to Government Contracting course by the Small Business Administration (SBA)