Know About StarCraft & Battle.net Gaming

• Thread starter jhooper3581
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's negative experiences on the online gaming community, Battle.net. The speaker shares instances of being called names and being kicked out of game rooms, which they believe is due to their autism. Other users suggest finding a different community or improving social skills. The speaker defends themselves and expresses frustration with their condition. The conversation ends with a suggestion to list behaviors that may be causing conflict and to stop doing them.
jhooper3581
I'm sure you know what StarCraft is. Better yet, Battle.net. It's where people play StarCraft online gaming. People have fun. People call others noobs. People are smart. People ban slow dls or trash talkers. People getting mad about "45 seconds" Ctrl+Alt+Delete. Worst yet, my experience with Battle.net is not that good. Everyone hates me all the time, and here's an example:
(jhooper3581 enters a game room about to be started)
[user1]: jhooper3581 you're dl
[jhooper3581]: yea sry
[user3]: lol what a noob learn how to talk normal
[jhooper3581]: DUDE I WASN'T TALKING TO YOU
[user1]: LOL
[jhooper3581]: finally dl
(and now the rest of gamers join)
[user7]: hey guys one of my friends is coming but all players are filled
(jhooper3581 receives message You have been booted!)

Therefore I now really hate to go on Battle.net. People always hate me. What are you PF members' opinions on this? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

What is this, 1998?

Pengwuino said:
What is this, 1998?
Yea I was talking about StarCraft Brood War, not StarCraft 2. But I'm afraid that's not the importance. Do you have any opinions on my first post?

jhooper3581 said:
Yea I was talking about StarCraft Brood War, not StarCraft 2. But I'm afraid that's not the importance. Do you have any opinions on my first post?
What do you do that makes you unlikeable, besides the text speak?

List them, then don't do them anymore.

jhooper3581 said:
You finally answered to my first post. Social contact is important. I assume you're mathematically gifted? So am I.

Look at it from another point of view. I don't know exactly how battle net works, but in many online communities ppl are hierarchical. In fact most social constructs in this world are hierarchical. Ppl know each other, maybe they played together N times, whatever.

It may be very well that none hate yourself, you are just a low ranking member, and hence disposable. This is why when a friend of them came, you where booted and your slot given to another member which is more known in the community.

If you feel that your social identity is in that online community, you should adhere the rules , conform and have patience till they accept you. But hypersensitivity won't cut it.

Then again, my question why do you care about an online gaming community is relevant. You should start to play in the real world and look for as much social contact outside internet. And don't care about how a community of gamers relates to you, just play from time to time or whatever. It;s just a piece of advice, I swear on the devil's tail that I don't hate you =)

Did you read my post? It was serious, or are you not serious?

DanP said:
Look at it from another point of view. I don't know exactly how battle net works, but in many online communities ppl are hierarchical. In fact most social constructs in this world are hierarchical. Ppl know each other, maybe they played together N times, whatever.

It may be very well that none hate yourself, you are just a low ranking member, and hence disposable. This is why when a friend of them came, you where booted and your slot given to another member which is more known in the community.

If you feel that your social identity is in that online community, you should adhere the rules , conform and have patience till they accept you. But hypersensitivity won't cut it.

Then again, my question why do you care about an online gaming community is relevant. You should start to play in the real world and look for as much social contact outside internet. And don't care about how a community of gamers relates to you, just play from time to time or whatever. It;s just a piece of advice, I swear on the devil's tail that I don't hate you =)
Hmm. I have severe autism, and it's the worst mental problem I'm facing with every single day. I do like gaming, but online gaming community bullying is, believe it or not, same as real life bullying. Then again, I guess I need to improve social skills.

jhooper3581 said:
Hmm. I have severe autism, and it's the worst mental problem I'm facing with every single day. I do like gaming, but online gaming community bullying is, believe it or not, same as real life bullying. Then again, I guess I need to improve social skills.

Don't take it personal, whatever they do to you. They don't know you, you don't know them. Try to approach a substructure of Bnet (whatever those gamers clans are called ) who is less aggressive and success oriented and maybe youll adapt and find a place to play with ppl you can enjoy.

Evo said:
What do you do that makes you unlikeable, besides the text speak?

List them, then don't do them anymore.
I have autism. It sucks. Do you really think I want to go through this pain? Of course not, but you might be thinking it's STILL my responsibility to have people like me. Wrong. I was born with autism. Logically speaking, why would anyone make themselves having autism if they do not want to go through pain? Since no one on this Earth lives forever, therefore I have to wait until I die.

jhooper3581 said:
I have autism. It sucks. Do you really think I want to go through this pain? Of course not, but you might be thinking it's STILL my responsibility to have people like me. Wrong. I was born with autism. Logically speaking, why would anyone make themselves having autism if they do not want to go through pain? Since no one on this Earth lives forever, therefore I have to wait until I die.
A lot of people have autism. Don't use that as an excuse. You're posting here aren't you?

List the things you do that angers these people and stop doing them. If you aren't willing to do that, then stop going where you're not wanted. It's that simple.

jhooper3581 said:
I have autism. It sucks. Do you really think I want to go through this pain? Of course not, but you might be thinking it's STILL my responsibility to have people like me. Wrong. I was born with autism.

Yes , it is your responsibility. The powerful force you feel at work is social conformity. A group will not accept you unless you conform to their standards , rules and norms. If you fail, you'll be rejected , and yes, social rejection from a group which is important for your social identity (even online) feels almost the same like physical pain.

Looks like cliques are alive and well in cyberspace...

mugaliens said:
Looks like cliques are alive and well in cyberspace...

They will develop anywhere primates "walk".

You're not doing anything wrong other than playing the game. This happens without reason, and you either take it or dish it back out.

This is a social norm in which favoritism is shown to members of long standing and high rank. It's not a matter of you, because to another person online who does not know you personally, you're just a name. Some people attach a lot to that name, and others don't humanize it unless they know you. Once you're gone and they move on with their game, you're out of their mind in a way that's impossible offline.

Isn't that partly why you enjoy interacting online? Isn't it partly the reason we ALL do?... there's some connection without the same level of commitment or risk that would exist offline. Beyond that, mostly the internet seems to be a means of people who ALREADY know each other staying in touch.

For instance, I play games, but often when I play a rare match of something fun, I arrange to do so from my existing friends list or real-life friends. I wouldn't be rude to someone wandering by, but I wouldn't give them much thought either. It's not a reflection of my feeling, but a lack of one; not disregard, but simply not-knowing.

Often people with autism on the high-functioning end of the scale have difficulty interpreting the intent behind a social interaction unless the meaning is explicit. Obviously you're going to have more trouble interpreting those social milieus online where text strips not only nuance, but the most obvious signals you've learned to interpret.

The only advice I can give, is that you don't have to assume that rejection equals hatred or dislike online... often it's just that to them you've walked into a private room. It wasn't your fault that you did, and it isn't hateful of them to simply boot you; in fact, that boot is the online social equivalent of saying, "We already have a full team." Not polite, but not personal either.

Blenton said:
You're not doing anything wrong other than playing the game. This happens without reason, and you either take it or dish it back out.

everything has a reason :P

Battle.net is a brutal place. You think Starcraft is bad you should see the community that revolves around DotA on Warcraft III (there is some 1998 for you pengwuino). It still has a large following and is extremely cruel to new players.

Do not bother responding to the flames. If you choose to respond to the flames, simply reply with "sup?" They will get more upset and be much more cruel. Just keep your discipline and reply to all flames with simply "sup?" This is guaranteed to work. I have used it for a very long time. A very good friend of mine brought this to my attention. In addition, you must always remember http://blog.wisefaq.com/2009/09/17/the-greater-internet-dickwad-theory/" .

Last edited by a moderator:

nismaratwork said:
It's not a matter of you, because to another person online who does not know you personally, you're just a name.

Actually, it can be a matter of "you". In any social group whatsoever, no matter is on-line or not, ppl loath playing with incompetents. Have you been left out from the soccer team ? Well, most likely is you :P you suck at playing.

I don't say this is the case in this situation, only that it does happens a lot of times.

Norman said:
In addition, you must always remember http://blog.wisefaq.com/2009/09/17/the-greater-internet-dickwad-theory/" .

It;s a well known phenomena in social psychology and very well studied.

Last edited by a moderator:

DanP said:
It;s a well known phenomena in social psychology and very well studied.

But does it have as cool of a name as "Greater Internet Dickwad Theory"? :tongue2:

DanP said:
Actually, it can be a matter of "you". In any social group whatsoever, no matter is on-line or not, ppl loath playing with incompetents. Have you been left out from the soccer team ? Well, most likely is you :P you suck at playing.

I don't say this is the case in this situation, only that it does happens a lot of times.

Yeah, but he's getting booted from a LOBBY... soooo... they aren't seeing him play. When it comes to some annoying or terrible person in a game, I think the action online and in real life are the same: corrective action.

I find as a skilled gamer in a number of genres (wow, once that would have made me feel proud) and I can attest that people who really enjoy games want a challenge. The last thing I want is to be trashed, but I also don't want to stomp all over someone who's much less skilled. I find that RTS and FPS games tend to be the most brutal socially, and tend to have the widest populations of *nod to Norman* dicks.

I enjoy Halo: Reach, part of a series I hadn't touched for a while, but I literally WILL NOT play the multiplayer aspect, even though it's well made because if I hear another 12 year old call another 12 year old a f**, I'm going to snap. I'd rather play games with cooperative modes, or team-modes that compete.

Once DanP, I would say you were right... now kids just think they can be pricks online... and they can! There is such a thing as giving someone a chance, and better matchmaking so that people of a similar temperament can play together.

Honestly, with the immense popularity of SC 1 and expansions, I'm shocked that there isn't a private network just for people with Aspergers, never mind Autism in general. Personally, I can't stand the sight of SC at this point, or any RTS that doesn't break some serious new ground... nooooo thanks... there are good books to re-read anyway. :biggrin:

Norman said:
But does it have as cool of a name as "Greater Internet Dickwad Theory"? :tongue2:

What does? :biggrin:

1. What is StarCraft and how is it played?

StarCraft is a real-time strategy game developed by Blizzard Entertainment. It is set in a sci-fi universe where players take on the role of a commander in charge of building bases, gathering resources, and training armies to defeat their opponents. The game is played on a map where players can move their units and engage in battles with the goal of destroying the enemy's base.

2. What is Battle.net and how does it relate to StarCraft?

Battle.net is an online gaming platform developed by Blizzard Entertainment. It allows players to connect with each other and play multiplayer games such as StarCraft. Players can also use Battle.net to access game updates, participate in tournaments, and communicate with other players.

3. Can I play StarCraft for free?

No, StarCraft is not a free-to-play game. However, there is a free version called StarCraft II: Starter Edition that allows players to access the first few levels of the game and try out multiplayer with a limited selection of units. The full version of the game can be purchased on the Battle.net platform.

4. Are there any expansions or additional content for StarCraft?

Yes, there are two expansions for StarCraft, called StarCraft: Brood War and StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void. These expansions add new campaigns, units, and features to the game. There is also a variety of cosmetic items and skins available for purchase on Battle.net.

5. Are there professional players or tournaments for StarCraft?

Yes, there is a thriving professional scene for StarCraft with players from all around the world competing in tournaments. The biggest tournament is the StarCraft II World Championship Series, organized by Blizzard Entertainment. There are also many other smaller tournaments and leagues, as well as a dedicated esports community for StarCraft.

Back