Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Know your rights as a citizen

1. Apr 4, 2005 #1

ShawnD

Science Advisor

http://flexyourrights.org/busted/bt-download.html

It's a video that shows what you should and should not do in certain situations when dealing with the police. It's aimed at Americans but some of the stuff is still salvagable for people in other countries. Laws such as requiring consent to search your stuff are in lots of countries; not just the US.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What gets me is how stupid some of these perpetrators are; on the cop shows anyway. From what little I've seen, most of which I find very offensive, an amazing number of people fess up needlessly. On the other hand, I wonder about how legal some of the busts shown really might be. In one episode, the cops had a guy around the corner playing a loud recording of angry dogs, while the others told the suspect that if he didn't confess, they would turn the dogs loose on him. This done while on camera no less!!!

We have a bunch of cops in the family. Working in law enforcement often changes people and not for the better. My cousin, a really bad dude who dealt with the Mexican mafia, and who worked with the FBI's anti-terrorism task force, has told stories that would scare the hell out of any law abiding, freedom loving citizen. [edit: although it was handy having him in the family when some local good-ole-boys gave me a bad time]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  4. Apr 4, 2005 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Not to be Captain Obvious, but two (stupid and criminal) typically go hand-in-hand.

5. Apr 4, 2005 #4
    One of our required classes in school was Military law. We also covered a lot of civilian law too (since it's not all that uncommon for a soldier to get picked up 'out on the town') The answer to the question 'Do you mind if I search you car/whatever?' is always 'yes, I do mind.' Even if I know I haven't done anything wrong, why take the chance that the person who sold me my car left a crack pipe in it somewhere? I have nothing to gain by agreeing to the search.

6. Apr 4, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not always true. Most any cop will tell you that there are some very smart crooks. But as for your average street thug, yes, having lived near Watts for 15 years, I have first hand experience on that count. They are not only stupid, they barely act human; if barely.

7. Apr 4, 2005 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Granted - but on shows like "Cops", virtually all of what you see is the "average street thug". That's really what I meant.

8. Apr 4, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My sister is a probation officer and tells me that most of her cases involve people who were dumb enough to consent to a search when probable cause for getting a search warrant would have been questionable had they not consented. These are often young men stopped for something fairly routine like a traffic violation who just "look suspicious" to a cop, and are then found in possession of drugs or weapons when they consent to a search. A hunch isn't probable cause, but if a cop has a hunch and gets someone to consent, then it's a legal search. These aren't people being pulled over while under the influence or with drugs or weapons sitting out on the front seat, these are people who just fit a certain profile of "street thug."

The flip side is that even if you have nothing to hide, if you consent to the search, then you don't have much recourse to take if your property is damaged as part of the search. There are reasons other than hiding guilt that people should refuse to consent to a search without a warrant and/or probable cause.

9. Apr 4, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most of what you see on those shows are alcoholics and drug addicts. Even when they mix it up a bit and show someone being arrested for domestic abuse or disorderly conduct or having a dispute with a neighbor, they still seem to be drunk or high in most of those episodes (well, most of the ones I've seen anyway; it's pretty much same crimes, different city on each episode).

10. Apr 4, 2005 #9
    rofl that is hilarious. I love it when the cops lie to people.

11. Apr 4, 2005 #10

ShawnD

Science Advisor

And then wonder why we don't trust them....

12. Apr 4, 2005 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think everyone should be shocked and outraged over this abuse of power. But apparently it is not only tolerated, it's entertainment! I consider this sort of thing much more dangerous to the US than any terrorists.

13. Apr 4, 2005 #12
    Actually, the high speed chases you see on TV make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I saw one the other day where the police were chasing a guy who had pumped gas and then driven off. The chase ended when he ran a stop sign and T-Boned a family of 4 in a mini-van. They then interviewed one of the officers involved in the chase and he said something along the lines of 'I can't believe this guy nearly killed four people over $20 of gas.' My reply (screaming at the TV) was: 'I can't believe you chased the guy over $20 of gas.' It's not like they didn't have his license plate. All they had to do was go to the guy's house later and arrest him. It's one thing when the guy being chased is a serial killer, but putting innocents in danger over a misdemeanor just ticks me off.

14. Apr 4, 2005 #13

Is it even possible to do that anymore?

I've never been to gas station where you didn't pay first.

15. Apr 4, 2005 #14
    ^ Yes it is. Where my grandmother lives, just outside of Denver, there is a station that lets you fill up first and then pay. Whenever anyone steals gas they just write down the license plate number and report it.

16. Apr 4, 2005 #15

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Is it just me or is the sound brutally out of sync?

17. Apr 4, 2005 #16

ShawnD

Science Advisor

TV cops say crap like that all the time. I remember one specific segment where a robber stopped at a gas station. A pig slammed his car into the suspect, and pushed the suspect's car into the gas pump causing a huge fire that was out of control. The cop then blamed the fire on the criminal.

18. Apr 5, 2005 #17
    Admittedly there are cops out there that are not nice people and do things that they ought not do. Really though, not cooperating with a police officer is likely to get you in more trouble than cooperating.
    My uncle was a hippie stoner. When he lived around here in Orange County he got pulled over often and always refused to allow the police to search his vehicle. Eventually they got to know him and hasseled him when ever they had the opertunity until the point that he had enough and moved someplace else.

19. Apr 5, 2005 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The smart criminals dont do stuff that will get them shown on Cops lol.

20. Apr 5, 2005 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well if he ran from the cop, yes, yes it is his fault lol.

21. Apr 5, 2005 #20

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Next we'll see suspects running from cops, then cops opening fire on public streets trying to take the suspect down. "He's a madman trying to run away; he killed 4 innocent bystanders" :yuck:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?